Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Cooling Box for Canon EOS 1100D DSLR

Gina

Since I'm building one of these myself I'll give it it's own thread...

Later I may look at cold finger direct cooling of the image sensor but this will be a good interim measure.

I have a diecast aluminium box with internal dimensions of 120x100x115mm - big enough for my 1100D (which I measured as 120x100x80mm). Only problem is the weight - it's nearly 700gm. With the other bits it will all weigh over a kilogram. Otherwise it would be just the job.

I'm looking at something in the range of 50-100W Peltier TEC - plenty on eBay at reasonable prices. I have an 80mm square heatsink and fan which would be alright for the outside I think. Also have a couple of smaller heatsinks I could put inside. Should have a smaller fan around somewhere (not that they cost much).

I've ordered a 12v, approx 50W Peltier TEC :- TEC1-12706 Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier 12V 51.4W New eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Been thinking about that diecast box a bit more and trying the camera in it. I think it could do with a bit more space to fit fins and fan to circulate cold air. I think I might buy some aluminium sheet and make up a box the right size. If I use 1mm or less thickness, it will be a lot lighter. Alternatively, with circulated cold air I don't really see why I shouldn't use a plastic box - even lighter. One side of aluminium with TEC (+ heatsink) on the outside and heatsink on the inside with fan to blow air through it.

Archived