Find Uranus all this week (Eyes on the Sky)

This is a great week (Feb 6 thru Feb 12, 2012) to find Uranus if you've never spotted the seventh planet, as Venus passes right nearby for the next seven days, coming closest on the 9th, but is within 3 degrees (one finderscope or binocular field of view) all week long. Check it out here:

There is a star/planet chart available for download in PDF form here (it will be on the homepage for the week of Feb 6 - Feb 12):

Eyes On The Sky > Home

Also highlighted in the video above is the Moon stopping by Mars, as well as the Messier galaxies nearby to the Red Planet that are worth checking out over the next week or two after the Moon has moved on.

Hope you enjoy clear and dark skies to be able to spot these celestial sights!

Well, it had been cloudy here nearly all week, but it finally cleared up tonight - even though it's cold. So I merely brought out my 7x50 binoculars and was able to spot and identify Uranus rather quickly this evening. Nothing spectacular to be sure, but I think it's neat just seeing this planet and knowing that the 5.9 magnitude dot I'm seeing is not a star and instead is a planet in our solar system.

Archived