Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 5000 Series - 14mm or 9mm?

sheridangj

Hi folks,

I'm planning on upgrading the eyepieces supplied with my Skywatcher 130P and after a little research I've decided to go for a couple of the Meade 5000 Series 60 deg FOV EPs. I will be using them for general observing so am looking for a pair that will give me good all-round viewing. My first choice is the 26mm but I'm unsure whether to accompany it with a 14mm or a 9mm.

I don't really like using the 10mm supplied with the scope as it's difficult to see the full FOV without pressing my eye right up to it which then results in vibrations. Is this likely to happen with the 9mm 5000 series or will the wider FOV make for a more comfortable viewing experience? If it might still be an issue would I be better going for the 14mm and using it with my SW deluxe 2X barlow?

I know a lot of people probably just go for the full set but I don't want to buy the lot just yet in case I don't end up using all of them so I guess what I'm saying is which combination would give me the most flexibility - 26mm/14mm or 26mm/9mm? Many thanks.

Gav :D

I can't really help with the choice (Sorry) as that is rather personal, but I recently got the 14mm and I really like it.

I find the eye relief is good - I observe with the eyecup fully up, but my mount is stable enough to put my eye up against the eyepiece - there should be plenty for you to hover with the cup down. I don't have the info on how the eyerelief of the 9mm compares though (I can find it tonight).

I would point out that many places are sold out of these as they have been discontinued for the HD line which have different focal lengths.

Hi Gav

A Meade eyepieces IMHO are great have a few my self ,

what area are you from if you are close to me you are welcome to try them out

also buying a few good eyepieces is so much better then buying a full set ,in a set there will alway be bits you will never use

Doug

Essex

Thanks for the advice guys! :icon_salut: I'm very glad I posted this query as this has now led me down a new line of enquiry after finding out that the 5000 series are now being superseded with the 5000 HD EPs (cheers Adrian!). It seems these are the same as Celestron X-Cel LX which are £10 cheaper than the Meades! I think I'm going to go with the Celestrons - 25mm and 9mm to start with and combine them with my barlow for a range of magnitudes. My scope is only a 130P (focal length 650mm) so I'll hold off getting any more powerful EPs until I have a scope with more aperture/focal length.

I realise now that I've actually used one of these EPs - my friend has the 7mm and let me use it for a bit when we were last out together - I just didn't know that was what it was at the time! It was very nice to use so I think I'll be very pleased with them.

Many thanks for the offer of trying your EPs Doug - if I was nearer to Essex I would take you up on that but I'm in Derby so it's a bit of a trek for me!

Thanks also to Kim for letting me know about East Midlands Stargazers - I will certainly check out your group and hope to join you for an observing session when the weather allows!

Bye for now!

Gav :)

I'm in a similar position finding the 10mm somewhat lacking (bundled with the 130p scope).

I managed to get a decent deal on a GSO 9mm super plossl eyepiece which will replace this. It isn't a high-end expensive EP but will certainly be an improvement on the 10mm (even my old Meade 9mm would have been better)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Meade 5000 9mm and don't like it. When you put the Meade in the telescope whatever is in the fov is lost and I have to move the scope around to relocate the object. I don't have this problem with any other eyepieces, including my Meade 4000 Plossl.

Second, eye relief is extremely poor. These two problems keep the Meade in my accessory bag. What I have found I like much much better are the Explore Scientific 82 deg eyepieces. They are sharp, parfocal and have excellent eye relief. The ES 6.7 that I have is great to see details in DSO's. I will be selling the Meade on eBay and getting an ES to replace it.

Archived