Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To Wedge or not to Wedge, is that the question?

Dear All

I am keen to get into imaging of deep sky stuff and was hell bent upon a new WO refractor, HEQ5 ans something like an Atik CCD camera. But dogfish reminds me that i could save a considerable fortune by sticking a good quality wedge on the CPC 1100 i have, and still have more than enough pennies for the Atik. Besides me missing out on a more portable set-up, can anyone think of any other disadvantages of sticking with the wedge option, or is it the way to go. I'm in two minds myself.

I also need a bit of advice how i might deal with periodic error on the CPC and how i would go about autoguiding if i went for the Atik.

Thanks for any thoughts

Psychobabbler

If you are serious about imaging, then a wedge is essential. Field rotation will bite you when you take subs of longer than about 20-25 seconds.

This is 30 x 20 second subs, made into a movie. Quite disturbing how much the sky rotates in such a short timeframe. When I tried the same shots at 25 seconds, I got field rotation quite noticably

http://zorlac.peonic.net/images/m13-altaz-rotation.gif

I have just moved my NS8GPS to a wedge, and if/when the bl**dy clouds ever go away and I can get some practise in with polar alignment, I`ll be using an Off Axis Guider with my DSI (or LPI) to guide my scope. I`ll also be using the OAG/DSI to train the PEC on my scope a few times and then averaging the runs out with the Celestron PECTool.

Sure, using a wedge takes a bit longer to set up. I plan to stay AltAz for purely visual sessions, but use the wedge if I plan to do any imaging at all. Its not any less portable, just takes a while to get the alignment sorted out first.

Archived