Is there anyone here willing to help a newby w Celestial Navigation?

njlw226

Okay, here is the deal: I am in a contest right now that had numerous steps, and I'm on the last step which deals with celestial navigation. I've done all kinds of reading on it and I still don't think I'm getting what I need to know so I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge may be able to help me out. I also am in somewhat of a race so don't have much time to read a lot of material to learn.

Here are various clues, in no specific order:

I am standing at the first point of Aries.

The sky is going west to east from my bow.

My Navigational Star is directly ahead and beckons me east.

Navigate by my Navigational Star's value

My Navigational Star appears at the North Pole

My Navigational Star will appear in 2 hours

Degrees and Hours in equal measure

I also think I may have a list of numerous U.S. cities but I'm not sure which ones to use or even if they are necessary.

Yes, I did, but there are now more clues that are available so I provided more information. Can anyone help me get an understanding of what this is wanting me to do? Assume none of these clues are in contradiction to each other. Thank you!

This may help - also remember it appears you are in a boat at sea :clouds1:

A little confused as it seems that Polaris is in the east which clearly it isn't :D maybe that point is wrong?

For the second grid system necessary for Celestial Navigation, imagine a great crystal globe encircling the earth. If you imagine the equator extended into space, that line will mark the Celestial Equator. What would be latitude lines on earth become lines of "declination" in space, and like latitude lines on earth, they measure angular distance north or south of the celestial equator (0 degrees) to a North Celestial Pole and a South Celestial Pole - extensions into space of the earth's poles. What we would call longitude lines become "hour circles" on the celestial sphere. The 0 degree hour circle (or celestial meridian) is the First Point of Aries; a difference from earth's longitude lines is that these lines are numbered to the full 360 degrees, rather than 180 degrees east or west.

Okay I'm going to break these clues up and give them in smaller portions so I don't confuse anyone.

The clue that says "hours and degrees in equal measure" when used in conjunction with celestial navigation, navigational stars, first point of aries, etc....is this telling me to go diagonally?

From what I've read, hours are basically longitude and degrees latitude. If I need to move an hour and a degree in equal measure, is that telling me I move diagonally?

Archived