Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywire

Has anyone used this Skywire/SkySafari setup: SkyWire Telescope Control Cable for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop and http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari/index.html

With the software, cable and connector it works out to about £80 - not bad if you can then control your Go-To from your phone/ipod/ipad....

What do you think?

Got it, used it, love it.

You need to use the handset to set up and align then plug the skywire into the iphone/pad. You then need to connect the pc wire you received with the scope to plug into the spare connection on your handset (the one you use to update the firmware). It gives a much better list of "tonights best" if that is what you want compared to the handset. The skysafari manual gives a much better description than I can.

Southern Stars • Support • SkySafari Manual

You can also re-centre the object if it is not quite central.

The only thing is the wire. I am seriously considering changing to this

SkyFi Wireless Telescope Control System - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Thanks for that m.tweedy - let me know if you decide to go wi-fi as you would have a skywire needing a home!! Overall, how does the combo you have compare with using the usual handset - is it easier, more accurate, intuitive etc?

thanks I will lt you know if it needs a new home:). However Widescreen centre are out of stock of the others. It is all of what you have said and more. You do still need to do the initial set up and alignment with the handset before you plug it in.

The only problem i have (it is not a problem really) is how to attach my ipad close to the tripod so the wire is not under tension and therefore potentially snag.

if you are using an iphone for it then one of these that i have got could be the trick for you.

BBJ Imports - **NEW** Tripod Mounting Adapter for iPhone 3GS

I use it on my ADM bar on top of my scope

First Light Optics - ADM Camera Mount with clamp

Archived