Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMac Feedback

OzDave

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone using EQMac is experiencing any problems with the latest versions, or if indeed anyone is still actually using it at all.

If you've had problems, I'd like to know so that I can avoid/eliminate them in future.

If you've stopped using it, it would be useful to know what was wrong that made you want to stop.

Or if it just works for you, that is also good feedback to have.

Any feedback you have, I'd be appreciative of.

Regards,

David

Hi David - it works for me perfectly on my old MacBook:)

I recently got a new MacBook Pro and I haven't been able to connect using the latest version and an EQDir module (the status light is yellow). I've only had one brief session to try and and work it out though so I just connected through the handset and all was well. I have a suspicion the problem is actually the module but I need to check that.

I really like the star map now - it's simple, has most the objects I'm ever likely to use and the constellation shapes help. I've yet to try the mount limit feature yet, that'll be the next session :D

James

I too have problems with the serial usb thingy. Yellowish here too.

I am currently on Windows 7 for astro work as I have added motor focusers and the like to my kit. I do, however, really like EQMac and it's been good to me.

My new Hyperstar with an M26C is getting first light as we speak, -18°C outside so I guess the setpoint cooling is having an easy time out there :D

I am going to try another serial port thing on the mac and see how EQMac fires up on that.

All the best,

Per

Hmmm, this is sounding suspicious. Are you and James both using EqDir?

I'm using a homemade version which seems to work, but maybe there is s problem with other models?

Would be good to know if it works for anyone. So far it seems to be 2 strikes.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using EQDir. It works fine on my older MacBook (Lion) but doesn't on the new one (also on Lion) so I suspect the drivers are a problem... except that I'm pretty sure I've put the same drivers in.

It works on the new one if I use my Keyspan USB adaptor with appropriate drivers through the handset. :D

James

OK - an update. Version 1.0.1 DOES work on the new Mac, version 1.0.2 doesn't. The only obvious difference in behaviour I can see is that when I launch 1.0.1 the OS asks if I want to allow Mount.app to accept incoming network connections. For some reason 1.0.2 has never asked that... no doubt there's more to it but that's the only obvious difference I can see.

James

Thanks James. That sounds very odd though, because the only thing I changed in v1.0.2 from 1.0.1 was the way the interfacing is done with PHD for pulse guiding. In v1.0.2, you need to use the specially released version of PHD that supports EQMac.

However, I did produce the release while flying back and forth to Las Vegas at the start of the year, so maybe in my haste something went wrong.

I'm going to send you a PM with instructions that would help me to diagnose what is wrong with 1.0.2 on the new Mac. If you wouldn't mind helping me figure it out that is.

Regards,

David

I've had a look at the code tonight and I've spotted a few potential problems that could cause intermittent crashes (at worst) or things like the mount not being detected (Yellow status continuously).

So James, I'm thinking that it might be working fine, but you might also have random times where it just behaves oddly on startup.

On my Mac, I haven't really noticed these problems for some reason, but I've heard now from a few people that are saying that the application crashes on startup or that it never goes from Yellow to Green. It is easy to think that these things are due to driver issues or other things, but I think I've got to start looking at possible causes from within the software and I think I may have found some things to fix.

I'll post an update soon that changes the way certain things work internally and will hopefully result in more reliable/stable behaviour.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi David,

EQMac looks very promising, thanks for your efforts!

I'm having a problem at the moment though, trying to connect with a virtual serial device (bluetooth). I've a bluetooth dongle which is paired and listed on my mac as "/dev/tty.EQBT-DevB". In the bluetooth settings window it is identified as "EQBT-DevB", with protocol "RS-232", Service "Dev B".

The bluetooth module is my own attempt at making a bluetooth control for my mount (HEQ6), and to test the communications are working I have wired an arduino instead of the telescope, sitting on the Tx/Rx lines and echoing back everything that it receives ("I received the letter A", for example).

If I open up CoolTerm and go into preferences, the EQBT-DevB port is listed in the serial port options drop down. If I choose this and then hit connect, the bluetooth module connects and everything I type in the terminal is bounced back to me from the remote arduino.

So the bluetooth serial connection seems good, but I can't get it listed in the Serial Port option in the preferences for EQMac.

Can you offer any advice? I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.3. Is there a config file somewhere where I can add /dev/tty.EQBT-DevB?

Many thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, sorry for the late reply. I've been preoccupied with work issues for months now and haven't had a lot of time for astronomy or EQMac at all. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into it soon now things have calmed down a bit.

Ok so I think the reason the bluetooth is not showing up in EQmac is due to filters on the devices it thinks could possibly control the mount. Without that in place it lists all sorts of serial ports that would confuse people. However, I suspect you might need a version without that filter in place.

Would you like me to make that available? If so, send me a PM and I'll make a version downloadable for you.

Regards,

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived