Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

scope recomendations.

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a newt that would be comfortable on a CG5-advanced GT mount. Expecting at the moment to try some AP with a DSLR and webcam. I reside in the US, so any suggestions would have to be available here. Budget is about $600 USD but would like to save some of that for any required adapters needed to mount a camera or cam and of course rings and mounting bar for the scope if not included. I've been looking at some of Orion's products but I soon found that I have no clue as to how they would compare with some of the other brands which are out there. I would be very thankful for any advice offered.

I'd beware of the astrograph version unless you are ready for it to be a 'work in progress.' They generally need a lot of sorting out, the fast F ratio requiring very fine adjustment which the standard construction does not make easy.

In my view the mount is on the small side for a Newt. to be honest. For imaging that is. Camera, guidescope, cables, a bit of wind...

Olly

I wouldn't go withn a million miles of an SCT. The long focal lengths requires very very accurate autoguiding and this your mount might well fail to deliver.

Yes, I'd always say, 'Small fast apo with short focal length' to anyone starting out in imaging and not up for spending a lot on a premium mount.

Olly

Archived