What can I expect to see with...

a Skywatcher Explorer 150pl + standard lenses of super 10mm, wide angle long eye relief super 25mm and 2 x Barlow.

The moon is very clear and detailed, Jupiter with a bit of fine focussing shows the bands and 4 moons, but is small an difficult to clearly focus on. Mars is small and uninspiring at present.

I dont really know if I have adequate EPs or should I invest in something better that will give me clearer and larger images.

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks Sandra

Hi Sandra,

What you are seeing sounds about right. Better eyepieces will improve the views a little as the supplied eyepieces are adequate to get you started but no more than that.

The more you view objects like Jupiter, the more your eye adjusts and the more detail you will, eventually, see. It's pretty subtle though and the good seeing moments come and go all the time, only lasting a second or so sometimes.

Mars is always small and challenging - even for larger scopes than yours. When it's at it's closest this time around (early March) the disk will be a little larger but will not be anywhere near Jupiter-sized.

Sounds like you have made a good start though !.

Usually a better set of eyepieces can make a large difference. The supplied items are not that good. The barlow combined with the supplied 10mm is almost universally poor. Mostly the 25mm seems acceptable.

Jupiter will be good in your scope, Saturn also when it makes a decent appearance. Mars is the questionable one.

Mars needs everything to be right, high magnification, 200x preferably 250x and above, good conditions in the atmosphere also.

Better eyepieces: The BST explorers are the favourite at the moment, Sky's the Limit sell them, £41. Possibly best to try the 8mm, if you like that then the 5mm is an option for more magnification. The 8mm and the barlow may be OK but it depends on the quality of the barlow.

A reasonable replacement barlow is said to be the Tal item. Cannot say from experience as I prefer eyepieces only.

Thanks very much both of you

Im puzzled with the eyepieces though. Capricorn - you said 8mm or the 5mm...do they work 'backwards'? Im puzzled by the smaller number being a btter mag? GHow does this all work. I was thinking Ihad to look for a higher number to equate to a higher mag.

thanks

Thanks very much both of you

Im puzzled with the eyepieces though. Capricorn - you said 8mm or the 5mm...do they work 'backwards'? Im puzzled by the smaller number being a btter mag? GHow does this all work. I was thinking Ihad to look for a higher number to equate to a higher mag.

thanks

Yep, the smaller the number in mm the higher the magnification. I have the same 25mm lens as you and it's more than adequate for clusters and the Orion Nebula. The 10mm is not so good. I upgraded to the Celestron X-Cel LX 8mm and the difference is amazing especially on Jupiter.

Paul

Would we benefit from buying this accessory kit?http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonian_reflectorsWe have this:EXPLORER-150PL (EQ3-2) 150mm (6") f/1200 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope •Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48, x96, x120 & x240 •Highest Practical Power (Potential): x300 •Diameter of Primary Mirror: 150mm •Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/8) •Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm •X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor) •Parabolic Primary Mirror •0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports •6x30 Finderscope •Direct SLR Camera Connection •EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount •Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder •Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray •33% more Light Gathering than 130mm

hi san , if you want to upgrade your eyepieces have a look at the bst explorers skies the limit have em for 41 quid , they are good .

the 25mm you have is decent , but the 10mm suplied is poor as is

the barlow ,

your scope is F8

so you have a low power ep > 25mm

so you looking for a medium and a high power ep

somthing like a 6mm ep for high power = x169 mag

somthing like a 12mm or 15 mm for medium

:D

Having just looked on herehttp://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.htmlWHat about the Plossi EPS? I could afford to get 2 for the rpice of 1 BST. IS this false economy though? I could maybe get a 6.5 and a 12.5mm?

Archived