Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first shot

this is my first shot with my tripod and canon 1100d with a 18-55mm lens shot at 18mm f3.5 30/S exposure ISO 100 , was just wondering what everyone thinks and any advice to improve ........

P.s the focus looks soft and i tried some advice what someone said in another forum , to focus on the moon then switch from AF to MF and that should be ok but i think its a little soft and i dont understand how infinity focus works so i dont know if this is actually possible with my camera/setup .........

Thanks for taking the time to read this any comments welcome !

just added another shot to same setting apart from iso 200

P.p.s sorry about the washing line in shot to haha

post-32598-133877725869_thumb.jpg

post-32598-133877725879_thumb.jpg

It is a fraction soft, but nice shot anyway!

To get good focus, use liveview to zoom in as far as you can and manually adjust the focus. You'll find that even a feather touch adjustment of focus will make a difference, if you're focusing on stars keep adjusting back and forth until you've got the tiniest possible point.

With liveview zoomed right in you'll find the vibrations caused by you touching the lens will make things tricky so wait a second or two between each adjustment.

Also assuming you're not using a remote trigger, did you use the shutter delay option because that will improve things too.

Rob

yeah sorry i forgot to say i am using a trigger and i took 2 or 3 shots of the same frame and they was all like this so i just thought it was the focus , also i heard someone say to zoom in live view but my camera say it cant and i can only zoom when i review the shot on the lcd but that mite just be me being a noob is there a way so i can zoom in live view because i did want to get the moon but looks so small even at full lens zoom .

thanks again

You can zoom with the 1100d. I don't know if it's possible to disable the funciton by mistake, but normally you just use the +symbol on the top right of the camera (next to the star button) the same as you would if you were reviewing a shot.

I do find it easier if possible to try and take the photos without anything in the way as such, like the house, the washing line, as they can tend to take focus from the camera. Saying all that though, you have grabbed Casseopiea well, it is distinguisable up there. I think unless you get a mount that tracks, photographing direct is always tricky as you do not have a great deal of time to pull the subkect. But good stuff indeed.

thanks for the comments guys the washing line was a proper noob moment lol but did want the shed in the foreground to try make the composition interesting , also ive figured out that the camera wont zoom on live view when its set to AF but in MF it will zoom x10 going to go try again now and i will post my results in a while

thanks for the comments guys the washing line was a proper noob moment lol but did want the shed in the foreground to try make the composition interesting , also ive figured out that the camera wont zoom on live view when its set to AF but in MF it will zoom x10 going to go try again now and i will post my results in a while

Odd, mine zooms in af or manual. Maybe it depends on the lens.

Anyway hope you get some good shots.

here is my second go at it must of took 10 shots each trying to get focus , but was lots of fun tho even if my toes and fingers dont agree with me not sure about the moon shots focused on the foreground but i like the halo and the way it turned out . But iam not sure if the experts would think that is a good shot or bad . Love Orion it faces my back yard all night just hate stupid orange street lights lol .....

Any way enjoy the shots all comments well come

post-32598-133877725987_thumb.jpg

post-32598-133877725993_thumb.jpg

post-32598-133877725999_thumb.jpg

post-32598-133877726004_thumb.jpg

Archived