Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

Hello all,

I have decided on buying the above as my first scope. I was just wondering what I will need to attach my Canon eos 1000d to it, or even a webcam?

Also what are your thoughts on the Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO as a starter scope. What would be the essential items you think I will need? Eyepieces? Filters? Etc.

Thank you,

John

for a starter-scope it's fine... for long exposures with your canon...it's on the wrong type of mount... AZ is up/down left/right...which is fine for a webcam

For long exposures you need an EQ / equatorial mount...as sturdy as you can afford

for a starter-scope it's fine... for long exposures with your canon...it's on the wrong type of mount... AZ is up/down left/right...which is fine for a webcam

For long exposures you need an EQ / equatorial mount...as sturdy as you can afford

That's great info, thanks. I will see what I can do about an EQ mount.

Cheers,

John

Just a quick extra question, would I be able to take quick snaps of the moon with my camera attached to this scope?

Thanks,

John

Hi,

I have the 127 version of that scope and have used it to get some good images (IMHO) of the planets with a web cam and the moon with a DSLR using a T adapter.

I use it as a 'Grab & Go' scope. It's had numerous trips to the back garden and, more recently, to a Stargazing Live event.

The only extras I have got for it are a dew shield made from an old piece of camp bed, a power tank and a case for the tube and all my eyepieces etc. Both case and power tank were from Maplin.

Hope that helps :D

6710420431_77d4d6f45e.jpg

Saturn 15-01-12 by MrLeebert, on Flickr

6700043461_f0d9bdd49a.jpg

Jupiter 140112 by MrLeebert, on Flickr

6797176177_7703ba3b93.jpg

Moon DSLR by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Hi,

I have the 127 version of that scope and have used it to get some good images (IMHO) of the planets with a web cam and the moon with a DSLR using a T adapter.

I use it as a 'Grab & Go' scope. It's had numerous trips to the back garden and, more recently, to a Stargazing Live event.

The only extras I have got for it are a dew shield made from an old piece of camp bed, a power tank and a case for the tube and all my eyepieces etc. Both case and power tank were from Maplin.

Hope that helps :D

6710420431_77d4d6f45e.jpg

Saturn 15-01-12 by MrLeebert, on Flickr

6700043461_f0d9bdd49a.jpg

Jupiter 140112 by MrLeebert, on Flickr

6797176177_7703ba3b93.jpg

Moon DSLR by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Thanks ever so much Lee, your information is very valuable and these pictures are amazing, I would be thrilled to get something like that, although it might take alot of practise. What webcam do you use? Sorry if my questions are a bit newbie, but I am brand new to all of this.

Thanks ever so much,

John

Moon will be fine with you cam john as its so bright.your scope will collect plenty of light to take a snap but not of planets id imagine as they dont give off enough light so will need more exposure time.as mentioned tho ive been looking in to getting another cam to acompany my lunar cam to snap the planets.you can do the equivelent of leave the shutter open and the weigh nothing.cant wait til were out in a dark field together.....that sounds so wrong

Thanks ever so much Lee, your information is very valuable and these pictures are amazing, I would be thrilled to get something like that, although it might take alot of practise. What webcam do you use? Sorry if my questions are a bit newbie, but I am brand new to all of this.

Thanks ever so much,

John

You are more than welcome :D

I only got the 127 in October. Joining a local group really helped with using the scope and the imaging.

The webcam is a package from here:

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

and here...

Telescope House Webcam Astro-imaging Kit including Philips SPC

It seems out of stock at the moment though :)

I use free software to capture the images (Sharpcap) and to stack & process the images I use Registax which is also free.

There are plenty of tutorial videos on You Tube etc. to help you use both.

The Moon photo was just a standard single shot with the DSLR.

Best of luck :(

You are more than welcome :D

I only got the 127 in October. Joining a local group really helped with using the scope and the imaging.

The webcam is a package from here:

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

and here...

Telescope House Webcam Astro-imaging Kit including Philips SPC

It seems out of stock at the moment though :)

I use free software to capture the images (Sharpcap) and to stack & process the images I use Registax which is also free.

There are plenty of tutorial videos on You Tube etc. to help you use both.

The Moon photo was just a standard single shot with the DSLR.

Best of luck :(

That's awesome, I have seen quite a few people using that registax programme so will definitely be giving that a go.

Thanks again for all the info,

John

So are these web cams specific to that scope or will it also work on my etx 105 aswell?

Sorry john,dont mean to hijack your thread.

No not specific at all. It can be used on any scope but the results may differ between scopes of course. Planets like Jupiter are nice and bright so the etx will be fine.

The webcam mentioned has a 1.25" sized adapter on it so simply slots in place of the eyepiece. Add a couple of pieces of free software mentioned above, focus the scope with the display on the laptop screen and away you go.

Archived