NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally got one M42

datman

Well I know this is rather commonplace but it's my first half decent picture. As it turns out unguided because I hadn't got PHD setup properly.

Stack of about 15 @ 15 secs + 30 @ 10 secs SW200P

Ds335C ICE

post-24509-133877724963_thumb.jpg

Great start!

At the exposure lengths you are using you won't need guiding. Just concentrate on your polar alignment....you should easily get 2 minutes unguided with no star trailing. You can then start to capture more of the nebulosity. Keep the short exposure too, then you can layer them together to retain the core detail.

Well done, always a thrill when you get your first image.

Hope you get the guiding working next time.

Carole

Thanks and yes I devoted an evening to getting the quiding right, it now guides rather than just taking up processor time!

The other bonus is I now know what I'm doing.

Great start!

At the exposure lengths you are using you won't need guiding. Just concentrate on your polar alignment....you should easily get 2 minutes unguided with no star trailing. You can then start to capture more of the nebulosity. Keep the short exposure too, then you can layer them together to retain the core detail.

Thanks

I'm always very careful about polar alignment, I was trying guiding as (a) practice and (:D belt and braces.

You're dead right about the different exposure lengths, I only tried combining them all just to see what the result was, it makes an amazing difference.

It really brings out the nebulosity

Archived