NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder Scope on 200p

I'm thinking of changing the finder scope on the Skywatcher 200p I have for 3 reasons

The current set up is back breaking when your looking at objects at its zenith

I can't always see the centre cross hair in the dark when trying to spot an object and 3 it didn't come with an o ring it was supposed to and as a result I can't fix it correctly and end up having to go through the alignment process each time I use it.

I'm thinking of buying this Right Angled Finder from FLO First Light Optics - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope but it won't help the issue with not always seeing the centre spot easily for which I would guess I need a red spot finder of some description.

Is there a finding scope that has a right handed view and a red dot set up or is this just not possible- if not would anyone recommend a set up for me.

Finally I hear some people have the original scope and the red spot finder - how is the additional finder fixed to the OTA?- would I be required to drill any holes in the tube to make this a permanant fixture?

any help gratefully recieved.

sTEVE

I use a 50mm rt angle finder on my SW200. It is my preferred option for most scopes. But everyone has their own ideas and preferences.

I don't usually bother about cross hairs and just estimate the centre. If you use a lowish power ep in the scope, you don't miss the target. Though I have thought about adding a bit of illumination by just drilling a small red led into the side of the tube.

I use a more crude illuminator in the polarscope of the D6 mount. I just chuck an led on a bit of wire down the top of the polarscope hole. It works well enough! As this is done only when refitting the mount onto the pillar, the bodge non-fixing is not a problem.

I used to have a telrad, but found it bulky and awkward - just my opinion. The Rigel quikfinder is smaller and lighter, but does not have the same pointing accuracy as a telrad.

Be careful if you buy an RDF. I used to have an SW RDF with a dot so bright it blinded Jupiter and couldn't dim down enough. I built an additional dim control onto the finder. I have also seen (and thrown out) RDFs that have such a smoky screen that anything dimmer than Jupiter can't be seen. Partly explains why some RDFs are £5 and others £25.

Hope this helps, David.

Both are great (I use a Rigel and a Telrad on different scopes plus a 9x50 right angle on occasions). Given your other thread about the costs mounting up though I'd say you can use just a red dot finder most of the time though - that's what I do. The Baader Skysurfer III is a good, low cost, single dot finder - you can get it for less than £20 on E.Bay and it has a number of bases including one that fits into the shoe already fitted to the scope.

I use a Telrad, red dot finder, and right angled finders. The Telrad is probably the best for star hoping and zoning in on your target area though it doesn't magnify. And the red dot finder is multi reticle and dimmable - also very good.

But if my backs playing up I stick to the right angled cos the other two still involve looking up the tube. It's a sound investment if you have neck or back problems. Also an adjustable stool takes the strain out of it all completely. Imho a raf and stool are the best recomendations I ever make :D

Right-angled finders are great, but I think they're pretty difficult to use on their own, because you don't look in the direction of the sky when you use them, so you can't aim the telescope along its length.

I find you really need a simple RDF as well, like the Baader, to first find a naked-eye star.

Tim

I've just added a lower cost option to my post :D

Thanks John - just after I pushed the button unfortunately but whats £15 in the grand scheme of my new addiction lol

BrantUK - thanks for that aswel - I'd forgotten the ironing stool - £25 on Amazon or £84 on FLO - hmmmm?

I will get Ras but I think for the time being £34 and white patio chair will have to do.

Right-angled finders are great, but I think they're pretty difficult to use on their own, because you don't look in the direction of the sky when you use them, so you can't aim the telescope along its length.

Tim

If you have a newt then you're used to looking at 90 degrees to where the scope is facing :D

I'm also looking at replacing the straight through finder on my 200P with a right angled version... sometimes you have to be a contortionist to look through the straight one !

It does make me wonder why SW newts are not supplied with RA finders as standard.

....It does make me wonder why SW newts are not supplied with RA finders as standard.

Same reason they don't supply 2 decent quality plossl eyepieces - it would drive the price up against the competition and they would loose sales. Keeping in the right price niche is really important :D

Same reason they don't supply 2 decent quality plossl eyepieces - it would drive the price up against the competition and they would loose sales. Keeping in the right price niche is really important :D

I don't think the difference in price between the straight finder and right angled version would be that great, especially at the production stage, to price it out of its sector market

Archived