Confusion over which scope - help please

Hi everyone, I'm new here and going round in circles trying to choose a new telescope; I would really appreciate some advice please. I have a scope (very wobbly old cheap refractor, very frustrating, did see Saturn, Jupiter and Mars through it though - just!) and regularly pop outside with binoculars when the skies are clear. I feel it's time to invest in some proper kit.

I've been looking at these:

Celestron Nexstar 102slt

Skywatcher Startravel 102 synscan

Celestron Nexstar 4se

Skywatcher Skymax 127 supatrak

Skywatcher Skymax 127 synscan

Celestron Nexstar 127 slt

Can you disengage goto drive systems? Is it possible to use a goto without power, if not I'm not sure I want one.

I want a good versatile all rounder, planets, the moon, clusters and deep sky objects, I don't know if this is possible as everything I've read implies I need to choose what I want to observe first then buy the appropriate kit.

I would like to tinker with some basic photography of the moon, planets, more if possible, so tracking would be good. I have seen the photos on the celestron page for the Nexstar 102slt and it would be great to be able to take photos like those; is that possible with that specific scope and which others could achieve similar?

I don't have much storage space, the above scopes look quite compact; portability and build quality is important too.

I live in quite a light polluted place (and my view is restricted by living in the bottom of a valley) will this be more or less detrimental to any of the above scopes.

My garden is not very level, would this make setting up a goto or auto tracking scope more difficult?

I know some scopes only come with one or two eyepieces so I expect to buy at least one more eyepiece plus a barlow if it's not included; if I buy a goto I will probably also invest in a powertank or rechargeable battery pack.

I have read through loads of threads on here and visited various websites, I am really confused as to what my best options are. I hope I'm looking at the right scopes but I'm also worried I may have overlooked a scope that may better suit my needs, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I see a nexstar 4 is on your list so I assume that's the top of your budget.

so I suggest this one

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

if you get the std rather than the goto it comes in under the price of the nexstar the mount is fairly stable and it will take a dslr for the moon or webcam for planets you could get the tracking motor at a later date

First Light Optics - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2

obviously a dob is out because you have nowhere level to put it

My garden is on a slope, I set a 2'x2' paving slab in the ground for my Dob to stand on it's not perfectly level and the scope works fine when stood on it. Scope is a 10" manual Dob. You could do this for any scope just pic a suitable location and use the one spot every time you go out.

I see a nexstar 4 is on your list so I assume that's the top of your budget.

so I suggest this one

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

if you get the std rather than the goto it comes in under the price of the nexstar the mount is fairly stable and it will take a dslr for the moon or webcam for planets you could get the tracking motor at a later date

First Light Optics - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2

obviously a dob is out because you have nowhere level to put it

Thanks for the recommendation, very nice scope and the spec is just what I'm looking for. Yes the nexstar is top of my budget, I am a bit worried about transporting a reflector, would one travel well down bumpy pothole filled Devonian roads? I'm a little nervous about collimation as well?

You must level the scope for aligning a goto - obviously there is adjustment in the tripod legs - how "unlevel" (making up words again!) is your garden?

Thank you, I think that rules out a goto, my garden is mainly sloping and the only patio space I have is ruined by a streetlight on a footpath at the back of my house. The rest is sloping and covered in stone chippings, I may have to add some paving slabs to my shopping list!

Thanks for the advice :D

Sorry for replying to my own thread :clouds1:

I've had a long think about how I will use a scope and have come to the conclusion I really need a grab and go, portability is very important and so is lack of storage space. I am very close to taking the plunge and spending some hard earned pounds. I'm considering the Skywatcher ST120 or possibly the smaller ST102, probably on the EQ3-2 mount.

If at a later date I move house and can buy a bigger reflector would the ST 120 be suitable for use as a guide scope, and then be easily removable to use for camping trips etc?

I've had a good read about chromatic aberration and the ST scopes and I'm prepared to invest in some filters, an LP filter will be essential for garden use. Can anyone make some specific recommendations for the ST please?

I would love to hear some opinions, pros and cons etc particularly from folks who have used an ST as their main scope; is there any reason why an ST would not be a good buy as a replacement for my wobbly old 60mm frac.

The ST120 is a fine deep sky / wide field scope but will be of more limited use for high power planetary / lunar viewing, even with some of the CA filtered out. I think they are good second or third scopes but not versatile enough to be a first scope unless deep sky / wide angle viewing was by far your main interest.

Archived