NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen VMC110L

Hello all.

After months of looking for a small grab and go scope, and particularly a mak/cass, I plunged in today and bought a VMC110L for £180.

Now, my question is this. Do you guys think i'll need a star diagonal for the back eyepiece viewer, and if so, what is a good one to get? Will it need any special kind, i.e. does the Vixen have SCT fittings?

Thanks all.

The VMC110L has an integrated flip mirror with 1.25" eyepiece fittings so you won't need/can't use a diagonal with this scope.

The eyepiece adaptors unscrew to reveal a T2 male thread. This can be used to attach a 2" eyepiece adaptor or a T-ring for attaching a camera for imaging.

HTH.

Cheers, Pete

You can quite happily use the scope on a "standard" photo/video tripod if you just want/need to point and observe. However, a tripod & head with good vibration damping and some kind of slow motion controls would be advisable.

Mods - pls edit if this is too much of a "sales pitch" for the Vixen products.

Vixen supplies two alt-az mounts that suit the VMC110L - either the Mini Porta or Porta II. Info here:

First Light Optics - Vixen

HTH

Other alt-az mounts from other brands are available of course :-)

First Light Optics - Alt-Azimuth

Cheers, Pete

Cheers.

Was planning on using it on my EQ mount when at home, and on a standard photo tripod when out. Just checking it wouldn't cause my tripod to fall over suddenly and break scope in some dark field!!

Looking to upgrade to a goto mount or tracking mount in the future.

I looked at the Vixen mounts when I purchased the scope, as could of gotten it as a deal. Rejected it as I felt was a bit pricey for what it was, and had an ALT/AZ GOTO in mind, perhaps in a couple of months.

Just sold a VMC 110l at the weekend, great scope, easy to use. I have used it on a manfrotto 55b photo tripod, either with a ball head or the geared head I have. Also have the Vixen Porta mount II, which is a great mount that I currently use with a Mak127 and surprisingly handles a TAL 100RS (with a bit of vibration).

Great Scope the 110l, only sold it as I had more than I can use.

regards

David

Hi.

A scope that has always intrigued me. I do like stuff that is a little bit 'different'.

Very well priced considering the state of the £ to Yen recently.

I'd love to see some close up pics of the vmc110, if you have the chance. I've only ever seen the std stock pics.

Do let us know your impressions regarding it.

Cheers,

Andy.

Will do. Can't believe that it is the same price as the 90mm at the moment! Couldn't resist it. Was looking at the Mak127, but who could resist the double eyepiece/ camera capabilities of the Vixen?

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday, so i'll get some pics and give my impressions of it on stars, DSOs and Jupiter.... weather permitting, of course!!

Excellent !

When I read this thread and had a look on some sellers sites regarding pricing, I was pleasantly surprised at the price. Vixen has never been at the cheaper end of the market and as I said, the exchange rate is pretty naff, so...damn fine price.

Does this scope use a moving primary mirror as the focuser?

Cheers,

Andy.

Right, the Vixen.

424113_10150626655970661_536420660_11412442_803610070_n.jpg

On a standard, cheap £15 camera tripod.

426417_10150626656705661_536420660_11412444_945206450_n.jpg

In a hard case my friend got for me. Next to a standard 2 litre bottle for size comparison.

395399_10150626657120661_536420660_11412446_469464246_n.jpg

Looking down the end at the mirrors.

431591_10150626674245661_536420660_11412489_2107527203_n.jpg

The hardware at the back of the scope.

426403_10150629052505661_536420660_11418167_139079300_n.jpg

Set up on a Equatorial mount.

416827_10150629145030661_536420660_11418519_733383125_n.jpg

On the back of my 8 inch reflector.

Thoughts:

It is a decent little scope for £180. It gives very nice, clear images of targets.

It is lightweight - it sits on a standard tripod with no problems. It doesn't cause the head when fully extended to slip, and it doesn't cause the tripod when fully extended to tip over. It is also very small. You'd have no problems getting it in a rucksack - which I've tried (not recommended in long run though!). It can also fit in a small aluminium case, which I have now got for it. Would probably fit in a medium wheeled suitcase for travelling - though with some padding and security, obviously.

It has a standard vixen dovetail bar on, which means it can be mounted to pretty much any mount. It also has a standard sized screw hole in the bar so that it can be placed on a tripod, or as above, piggybacked on another scope. There are two places on the scope to mount the dovetail bar. This allows you to find the best viewing position for your particular mount setup.

The eyepiece holders are sturdy, and have a range of options. You can unscrew them to reveal t-threads. However, it can't take 2 inch pieces as standard, so an adapter (44mm t thread?) would be needed. Also, they seem to have para-focal rings on that are adjustable, so that both eyepieces are in focus pretty much all the time. Talking of focusing, the focus knob seems very precise. You can get quite accurate focusing with very small amounts of turn.

It cools down very quickly. Also, when the mirror dews up with condensation, it clears pretty quickly when warmed up.

There are some drawbacks, however. The dot finder is near useless. It is in such an awkward position, and has a weird system where it can tilt up and down and side to side, very easily - i.e. when turning it on and off - meaning that it rarely stays aligned with the scope. Definately going to invest in a small finder scope for the future.

Secondly, the eyepiece holder on the back is also near useless as standard. I've had the scope at every angle and every height and it is such a strain to use. Definately needs a star diagonal to be useable. Also, the mirror flip control is quite stiff, meaning that it judders the scope, and on an insecure setup, move the telescope out of alignment. Don't know how good this would be for photography and switiching to an eyepiece, for example in guiding or making corrections.

The lens cap is very hard to get on and off. It is a simple cap with no opening in it like on a newtonian reflector.

The scope came slightly out of collimation - it is noticeable on bright objects like Jupiter. Don't know how you adjust it - the manual simply tells you to take it to your local Vixen dealer to be collimated!

In terms of images they are very good. Looking at the moon was a joy. My dad even commented that it looked better than in my 8inch reflector. I turned it to Venus and you could clearly see the phase. Jupiter's cloud belts were clearly seen and so were the moons. The Orion nebula wasn't as good as my 8 inch, and was less 'green' and contrast wasn't as good against the night sky; however, the moon was just over half at that stage.

Certainly from the limited viewing that i've had so far, it is a good scope in terms of imaging. In terms of getting used to it and finding a comfortable position to use properly, i've been less successful so far. However, this might be because i've never had a 'straight through' scope before but a Newtonian. Vixen dovetail is great for tripod, but rings would perhaps be better, as you could twist it to get best use on an EQ mount. Cannot wait until a nice moonless night when I can take it out into the dark somewhere away from light pollution.

A few quick thoughts, before I turn in for the night.

Nice write up.

If a star diagonal will come to focus okay in the back of the scope, that would perhaps, help the positional problems? ie: you could twist the diagonal round to suit.

Maybe with use, the flip mirror switch will loosen off a bit? Time will tell, I guess.

Regarding collimation - Did you check the star disc with an eyepiece in the top(therefore using the flip mirror) and also straight through, in the back port. I read on a site the other day, that collimation should be checked both ways, just in case it's the flip mirror that is slightly off, not the scope itself.

I'll have a look online tomorrow, but I read somewhere that the 3 little blanking plugs(at least that's what I think they are) on the rear, hide the collimation screws.

Having never used a red dot finder, I can't really help, but something doesn't sound right there.

Cheers,

Andy.

This is probably of no interest to you, Goose, just me thinking out loud again !

Always wondered about the design of the Vixen VMC's. Had heard talk from folk saying it was a Klevtsov design. Close, but no cigar! See images.

Klevtsov secondary optics.

andyh-albums-other-picture15563-klevtsov-corrector.jpg

Vixen 110L secondary optics

200783111236_maks-vmc110-vi-4.jpg

Andy.

Archived