Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NexImage or Compact Camera?

Advertise

Hello.

I just joined here (well have been lurking in the background for some time now peeking on images. So creeper warning I guess). :icon_salut:

I am in a bit of confused state right now.

I have a Nexstar 102SLT and want to start taking some pictures. For starters of planets. I need to upgrade my setup for DSOs so that's way in the future.

Now I have 2 choices and I can't decide. Perhaps you can give some input on this "First World problem".

My 2 choices:

1. NexImage.

2. Compact Camera mount (Eye-piece projection). I have a cheap compact camera that works OK.

Now I am currently leaning towards the NexImage. I got a feeling I can get better pictures with that, and it´s easier.

Cheers boys & girls!

//Peter

Peter,

If you can get hold of one, the Phillips spc880 (flashed to 900) will set you back a quarter of the price of the NexImage. However when used with Sharpcap the NexImage performs really well. Web cams work well for luna and planetary imaging

The Philips and the Neximage are the same internals, I really would advise you not to buy one unless someone has a good reason to :icon_salut:

The Philips are a no longer produced item. Some retailers manage to locate some every so often (usually OEM batches) but these are getting rarer and longer between now.

You could consider a Quickcam or Lifecam : you will have to do a search to see which specific ones are recommended :evil:

Wow. That was amazing.

Have you modifed the 102slt mount or dovetail (I think it´s called dovetail atleast)?

Mine is very wobbly so I didn't think the mount could handle the weight of the camera. :icon_salut:

I am thinking of upgrading the prism to a 2" but was worried it wouldn´t work. :evil:

Have you modifed the 102slt mount or dovetail
Yes - I have fastened a longer Skywatcher dovetail (which I had going spare) (plus tube rings) on top of the existing one. This is just to enable the camera to balance , but I guess you could just strap some weights off the top end instead. I also put a Skywatcher electric focuser on, which stops the wobbles when focusing!

The mount will take more weight than you think - I have used a 2" diagonal and eyepiece quite happily. I power it with a 7Ah battery pack which I leave on the tripod accessory tray to add a bit of weight.

I use 30sec subs with the 1000D - you can't do much more on an alt-az mount anyway, due to field rotation. The tracking is not perfect (don't look at the individual images too closely is my advice!) - but if you stack a load together the tracking defects seem to average out and the stars tend to come out round.

Here's 15mins on the Pleiades, taken from my very light polluted garden:

m45_17_01_10_600x400.jpg

NigelM

Archived