NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Sunspot.

jonifive

Just had to have a go at the sunspots with my D40. It is my first so criticism will be gratefully received.

It was quite misty and a real pain to focus at all, especially with the tiny viewfinder on the Nikon and my annoying specs!!!

238_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Nicely got 8)

Interested that you wear your specs when using the D40.

Can't get on with wearing mine at the camera so I just altered the

viewfinder diopter clicker to suit my eye.

Think for astro work, it might be worth getting a viewfinder magnifier

device...

Nice camera though 8)

Thanks Philip

Real problems with my specs....they are a pain. Any idea where I could get a magnifier?

Once I had the x2 barlow on it was really difficult see through the finder, the picture just seemed to look cross hatched if you know what I mean.

No criticism Jon., there may be a few specks of dust on your chip, but nothing serious. The picture is fine. You only mentioned the camera, no other info, like lens? Scope? Filter type. As for focus difficulties, is he not a 2x Gallilean scope you can fit to your viewfinder to facilitate focusing. Some of them are right angled which can make it a more comfortable operation. I'm sure there will be such a device for the Nikon.

Perhaps other owners can advise you on that.

It is not a bad picture at all.

Ron. :)

Thanks Ron

My Nikon D40 was attached to my Skywatcher 8" Newt, prime focus, Baader solar film over the small apeture in the lens cap.

Camera Model NIKON D40

Apperture F Number f/1.0

Exposure Time 2/30

ISO Speed 200

Cheers J

I have a Seagul 1-2x magnifier - not used in anger very much as yet, but seems to do the job.

Assuming Geppetto's link is the same ( i will check tonight - can't access ebay from work :) ), it comes with a set of adapters to fit to various cameras Nikon, Pentax Canon etc.

1 negative comment is that the 1x and 2x are not parfocal with each other - a right pain.

Archived