Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Barlow question

Andrewjohnck

Hi folks.

I just got a new skywatcher scope, its an AUTO TRACKING BKP13065 with a 5' mirror and 130/650mm. It's my first scope and I'm hoping to get everything I can out of it.

It came with a 10mm 25mm and 2x Barlow eyepieces. Using the 10mm I've seen Saturn, Jupiter and the moon well focused, and the Orion nebula using that and the 25mm. To my novice eye I feel like the Barlow that came with it is noticeably poorer than the other eyepieces when I use it, I have real trouble focussing in conjunction with either other lense. The other two are fine by themselves.

Is it worth getting a better barlow? I understand mytelescopes 'theoretical' useful magnification is around 250x and even with the Barlow and 10mm I'm not close to that so I don't think it's the scope.

Been looking at a celesta on for around £45.

Many Thanks!

Andrew

The theoretical maximum assumes perfect optics and seeing conditions. In practice neither are attainable so the practical max would be more like 180x or so. The supplied eyepieces and barlow are OK but upgrading them would produce better results. A quality barlow, like the TAL 2x costs around £35 and quality replacement eyepieces such as the Vixen NPL or BST Explorer ranges run at about £30 - £40 per eyepiece.

Thanks for that folks.

I wasnt under the illusion i would ever get the perfect mag out of it but want to squeeze a bit more. I think i will go with a new barlow, thought the celestron may be a gd one but ill have a browse for a TAL too, and then maybe look to pick up one new eyepiece like a vixen for my next purchase. Thanks! Ill check out tht box set too!

Archived