Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation help in the midlands

Hi again folks,

I am expecting my 8" dobsonian to be delivered in the morning and I am really worried about collimation. I've read and read about it but for a beginner it seems very very complicated. I was wondering if anyone on this forum would have any free time to show me how this is done? I live in wolverhampton and would most certainly travel to meet anyone willing to help me???

If i were you I would look up "Andy's shot glass" video - although it's not completely thorough it's the simplest and once you get the hang of it you can move on if you feel the need to something more thorough. Also, at F6 your dob will be pretty tolerant ie you dont need to get the collimation bang on to get optimal views.

Hi Geordie,

I got my first newtonian last week, being more a 'frac and cat guy usually. Its nowhere near as complicated as it sounded to me at first. I got mine pretty much nailed 2nd attempt. There are lots of collimation threads here. Best advice I can give is get a long cheshire eyepiece, follow the instruction very carefully, don't touch the secondary until you are sure its out and if you are still struggling PM me and I will see what help I can be - its still fresh in my mind, (that terrified collimation feeling) so I know how you feel bud.

I'm in wolverhampton Lee, I honestly will travel anywhere to get some help. I appreciate the offer and I know I can find countless info to help me online but I only need showing once and I'll not forget. I'm just worried that I'll do something detrimental to my scope and maybe ruin it beyond repair.

A bit of a trek as i'm in swadlincote near burton on trent. But could arrange if you are willing to drive. We have use of a good site and once shown how to do it, you will have no problems. If interested send me a private message and I will give you a bell.

I think Astro-Baby wrote a very good article on it. Just remember to loosen all the screws on the secondary first and then tighten them into position, you are trying to level a three legged stool from the bottom. The primary is really simple. I use a cheap laser collimator and it really is a doddle.

Archived