Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best budget focal reducers for CCD?

Space Cowboy

I'm looking for a cheap focal reducer to give me more FOV for my f4.8 1200mm 10" Auto Dob and DFK cam. This is just a sideline imaging M42 and M31 when I normally image Planets. I understand the 0.5 reducers increase FOV by 40% is there anything that increases FOV more thats around the £30 mark?

For a Newtonian - nothing. Those telescopes have very little backfocus and they can't be usually reduced even more... but you could use a lens with the DFK - either CS-lens for ultra-widefield, or old M42 for bigger focal lengths for normal widefields :)

I usa a Baader adapter from T2 for those lenses, but they tend to screw into T2 threads too - for short lenses like that one it should be stable :)

I would also suggest putting a light pollution filter in the path (either by Baader C->T2 with a filter thread, or similar element) as short focal length + bright f-ratio likes to gather a lot of it.

If you put it on a EQ mount (even some mini-EQ) it should allow "long" exposures - for a DFK that could be around 30-60 sec a low gain.

Archived