Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unknown object near NGC2905

theodore

Hi,

on 23rd January I was imaging NGC2905. There is the track of a very faint object just to the top left of the galaxy (see close up pic). Can anyone identify it? I only have Stellarium and it is too dim for that software.

The track started at the left of the stack which was captured from 22:00 to 23:52 on 23/01/2012. I'm in the process of making a movie, which is harder than it should be on my mac!

Thanks for any help,

Theo

P.S. its not a processing artifact, it is a point source which moves in each frame. I'm asssuming its an asteroid?

Taken form Wharram le Street, North Yorkshire, 23/1/2012

300 mm f4 Newtonian

Canon 350D, IR filter removed

90 x 1' ISO1600

Processed in Lynkeos and PSCS2

6756616175_fbd1a008b1_z.jpg

Close up showing unknown object

6759338647_aebae598c8_z.jpg

That's an interesting one. There weren't any known bright asteroids in that area on that night, although 14th magnitude Asteroid Italia passed by a couple of days before, and on a different trajectory. It would be useful to see the first and last frames for comparison. Need to project its movement and try and capture it again. That's quite a fast trajectory, given the time frame, indicating that if it is an asteroid, then it is a relatively close one.

I use Carte du Ciel and download the complete asteroid database (it's a huge file and very hungry on memory, containing more than half a million known objects). I've just downloaded the latest database, and I have identified your object. 16th magnitude Asteroid (43796) 1991 AS1 was in that position, so well done for capturing such a faint object. Not as close as I thought, at 1.2045au. Here's its orbit, from HORIZONS Web-Interface

post-16549-133877722486_thumb.jpg

Nice galaxy capture, too. Must try that one myself.

Just one thing...this might seem like a really daft question, the picture shows the Asteriod passing by a galazy yes?? But the image you have put there shows it in orbit within our solar system doesnt it?? or have I got that completely wrong?? :)

Just one thing...this might seem like a really daft question, the picture shows the Asteriod passing by a galazy yes?? But the image you have put there shows it in orbit within our solar system doesnt it?? or have I got that completely wrong?? :)

Yes, that picture just shows its orbit in the solar system relative to the planets, which I thought was quite interesting so I thought I'd post it! Theo's image shows what it looks like from here.

Hi Luke,

thanks very much for the detective work. I've never got to grips with Carte du Ciel, maybe I should try again.

Really interesting - I suppose the name implies it wasn't discovered until 1991? I'm pleased to have detected such a faint object. Of course, I was secretly hoping it would be an undiscovered NEO!

Thanks again,

Theo

The asteroid is close.. the galaxy is very far away.

Archived