help!! new and need advice

Hi im looking for some recommendations please.

Im thinking of getting my boyfriend a telescope for his birthday, hes never used one before so we are complete beginners!

He would be interested in viewing planets, moon, stars etc. We havent got loads of spare room, so the more compact the better! Or maybe someone could recommend some binoculars that are as good? Looking to spend between £100-£150 on something that will be decent without upgrading bits too often or soon.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to SGL

For your budget, I'd recommend a Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube dob.

the optics are decent and as this video showed it's very compact

I may get a 10mm Skywatcher plossl to replace the stock 10mm but it is not essential

First Light Optics - Skywatcher SP Plossl eyepieces

If you are interested in binoculars, a 10x50 like this pair is a good starting point.

First Light Optics - Celestron Nature 10x50 Porro

In fact it is recommended to start with a pair of binocular first and learn your way round the sky before getting a scope.

You can get a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ for £125 inc. delivery from Amazon.co.uk. The scope comes with quite few extras and has a parabolic primary mirror, build quality seems to be an issues with them though and it could be a learning curve figuring out the EQ3 mount too. The Celestron looks more and is good value but the Heritage 130P is probably the better scope.

It is tiny when packed away, no bigger than a briefcase. (but obviously round)

My neighbours have built x3 tables/platforms in their garden with holes about 2 inches deep cut out of the centre the same shape as the mount. They can now position it in 3 different places to get easy views without getting back pain or a wobbly scope.

Hi, I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of a Heritage 130p so I'm biased in favour of this scope as well.

One thought re binos. I've used a pair of 10x50s and whilst they are easy to use and give good wide views of the sky, they are difficult to hold without some shaking.

This ruins the experience (for me) of looking at specific sky objects - even the moon, when the image is dancing around.

So, if you do go with binos, you should also budget for a good tripod to mount them on. This does make a wealth of difference and almost brings binos up to a "proper" astronomical experience, but not quite in my view!

I'm sure the Heritage is the way to go........lucky lad.

The heritage is what I would call the PERFECT STARTER SCOPE.

It was designed to be just that, too.

I figured I will be using my F/7.8 and my niece/missus/friends can use the F/5 and heritage at the same time.

GETTING MINE NEXT MONTH! (it will be my first dob mounted scope)

Archived