Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help required - scope mount not working

Applemac

Hello, today I purchased a new (second hand) scope. Its an Orion Optics Europa 200 on what I assume a Vixen mount. I cant see any branding on the mount. It is very big and in a black hammerite effect paint. There are two drives, on connecting to the power the controller light comes one but the motors do not move. There's no buzzing or noise at all. Am I doing something wrong? The cables are connected correctly. Also what mount would it be, the previous owner tells me its a 7 year old scope. Feeling more than deflated at the moment. Thanks

That's a Synta EQ4 mount, an early version of the EQ5. When the scope is tracking the motor is almost silence. My clock ticks louder than that motor, you need to put your ear up against it to hear it working. If you get it to slew, the LED on the hand controller should turn red and you should be able to hear it. However, it is nowhere near as loud as the motors on GOTO system.

Hello, should I be able to see movement in the gears? Silly question I suppose as there just isn't any sound or visible movement. I had a a go to a while back and that was noisy. Should the scope slew as it isn't. the light on the handset is green and changes to red when pressed, but as I say no movement at all and I'm closely looking at the cogs. Thanks for helping. Rich

Have you check your batteries. You should see slow movement in the gears and the worm should have a period of around 10 minutes. Remember the RA axis is suppose to go round only once a day.

If you have a fresh set of battery and don't see any gear movement when you set your mount to maximum slew, then there is something wrong with the motor or the hand controller.

Thank you, I was running off a mains 6v as supplied, there is a slight vibration in the motors when first connected but absolutely no movement. Can you confirm which cable goes where, I'm sure I have it correct just trying to cross off all potentials. I don't know what to press to slew so I'll have to look them up, nothing obvious is working. Not my best purchase I fear...

The RA output goes to the RA axis, that's the one with the polar scope. The dec output goes to the dec axis, the one with counter weight. The switch on the top right hand corner of your hand controller allowed you to change slew speed. Set that to 8 and press one of the direction key. Then you should see one of the motor moves slowly. If you cannot see any movement over a minute, then something is wrong.

Thanks again, no movement at all in either drive, would this indicate a remote failure, I cant imagine both motors failing. On connecting the power both motors whir a little but the cogs do not move. The slew motion buttons do not prompt any response in the motors. The slow motion knobs work fine. Do I go for a new remote or do you feel it could be motor related?

I'd suggest you bring it to a local astronomical society to let them have a look first. It's unlikely to bust both motors at once, but you said the LED can change colour on the handset, so that is not totally dead either.

A diagnostic over the internet has its limitation. It'd be much better if someone familiar with that system can see it first hand. They may be able to tell whether it's the motor or the hand controller or something else that is the problem.

photostream

Thats a thought, get's worse the OTA has just fallen over landing on the finder scope putting a dent in the tube. Will this impact on anything, other than my rapidly thinning hair.

:) you will very likely need to re-collimate :)

Hello, great news. I changed the adapter, first signs the led was brighter and didn't fluctuate. On switching on the motor kicked into action. Can I ask is there any simple guides as to how to operate the control. Only the RA drive was running unless I pressed the DC button. Prob a stupid question, is this correct? Next job collimation and I hope to be away!!

Do not clean the mirrors unless you really have to! A little bit of dust will not affect the views in the slightest. If you do decide to go ahead, have a look at this first

Might save you some grief. Good luck and enjoy your new scope!!

Archived