Even more confused after reading numerous threads......help!

Hi all

Another newb and another load of newbie questions that have been answered in previous threads, but having trouble piecing everything together to make a final decision!!

My son has shown quite an interest in the sky after Prof Cox's programmes last week and ive always been keen to get a scope but never really got round to it.

So..what do I get?

Really keen on taking images from what we see, and i realise the webcam option is the best for me (250 budget). The 130p is looking the favourite and have seen a second hand goto for £220 - good price? Will a supatrak do a similar job as far as tracking for photography goes? Seen threads saying no because of the mount, but i get confused with it all! I saw a thread with pics of nubulai from a guy with a 130p and they were awesone, and plenty good enough for me, so what would i need to attach a dslr and do i always need the motorised mounts?

And then the dobsonian comes into it. can you get motorised mounts for these? Are they a non starter for webcam imagery or photgraphy?

Sorry for rambling, just want to get as much as i can for my money and finally find something that my son and I can enjoy together and get him from infront of the tv!!

cheers

For planetary imaging with a webcam those scopes will do. What you probably seen on the other threads was about deep space objects (DSOs) which need long exposures and a very accurate tracking with an equatorial mount. That will be well outside your budget but to be honest it's a lot of work and I would never recommend a beginner to start imaging DSOs from day one.

If you leave imaging alone then you can learn the sky and enjoy visual astronomy for a while. Eventually, if the bug stays you'll justify spending 1 or 2 grand in imaging gear. If not you'll enjoy learning a bit about our universe and have some nice experiences from it. I still find it amazing how so many people haven't even soo the moon, jupiter or saturn through a telescope. They are easy targets and accessible even with the cheapest telescopes.

Hi, It's really difficult when you want to go into imaging straight away on a limited budget. I would recommend getting a scope without motors, and not worry about imaging to start with; a decent setup would be way over your budget. You don't say how old your son is? This will be a factor because he will need to be able to reach the eye-piece without a gymnastic effort. My advice is that you both to go to a shop that sells 'proper' telescopes and try some out for size, most shop staff will give you honest advice based on what you tell them you need a scope to do. Good luck :)

This is a possible way to progress: A cheap reflector on a cheap equatorial mount to observe and do some webcam imaging of moon & planets. That should keep you busy for about a year. You could then mount a camera with a lens on top of it and experiment with long exposures (you don't need a fancy mount if you're not "zooming in" too much"). Then see what grabs you more and either upgrade to a dobsonian for observing or a better mount and better optics (at higher magnification or "zoom") for better pictures of deep sky objects. It's what I did anyway! Good luck with starting out on this. Oh, and join an Astronomical society, there's probably one near you.

Just please remember one thing....the images you see are not something people turn out easily, the majority are taken by people with years of understanding and knowledge in the art of astrophotography. Taking superb pictures of galaxies is a far cry from taking pictures of the moon, although even the moon has a mixture of technical issues.

Also remember that what you will see through the scope of any sort is not what the pictures express, you will mainly see gray cloudy fuzzy bits, there are some things up there that with a little knowledge you can get pretty good photos of but it is a learning kerb indeed. Not putting you off anything, but generally people do feel that what they see on the tv is what they see in a scope, totally far from it. Go for what you feel is best of course, but dont fall into the trap of getting something that you think you may get outstanding photos on day 1. As mentioned, get a scope, learn the sky and read and read on photography and then look to the issues of is that where youd like to move on to. It can become an expensive hobby otherwise.

As has been stated astrophotography is not easy and will consider time and patience.

I was like you once, I wanted a scope that would do everything. I soon realised this was not possible. Even good pictures by "amateur" photographers are not obtained without a great deal of effort and time (and normally money.)

I would suggest you get a scope for observing and Dobs are the best bang for the buck. If you are not sure that the hobby will continue then a 150p is ideal. It will retain some value secondhand.

You can get goto Dobs (I've got one!) and I love it to bits although it is out of your suggested price range and I new I liked observing before I bought it.

You should consider going to a local club if possible and use their experience and advice plus you will get to look through a range of scopes.

Simon

Archived