NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 114 LCM Computerised GOTO Telescope

I don't know it personally but the goto system is quite expensive and is the highest cost in buying this telescope. This usually means the optics, mirror, eyepieces are not the best quality. You could buy a better telescope without a goto system for the same price if you are buying new. If second hand I would think again!

ive just ordered the skywatcher 130p synscan from FLO and at £274 including delivery its a bit more expensive BUT its the same size that you have now just shorter focal length and its a parabolic mirror. i was thinking the same when i brought it as the 114LCM is £229 from ebay even the skywatcher 114p is £230 delivered!!! and its parabolic so gotta be better all round to be honest i would recomend having a look here i spent ages looking through it!!! and i can garantie they are the cheapest as i looked around before buying and the cheapest 130p i could find was about £300 neway check it out the synscan is harder to use as you need to know the name of a bright star but theres Stellarium for PC that can help or even google sky for android phones will help as well good luck deciding!!!! First Light Optics - AZ GOTO

no it cant ive had the skywatcher 130 on a eq2 before and this is my 2nd scope and its a totally differant scope!!! for starters the GOTO mount uses a dovetail joint not tube rings and also the 130p only has a tube length of 650mm where as the 130 has a tube length of 900mm (i think its 900 pretty sure!!) you could do it in thory but would require you to drill and screw the dovetail attachment and to work out where to screw it and its 2 much work to be honest!!! how much is your budget and what will it streach to? if you get the 130 GOTO then you arnt loosing any apature but then you are stuck with your old 130 and for that price you could eaisly affor the 150p dob or the 200p dob is only about £10 more than the 130 GOTO.

if you have ur heart set on a goto (which it sounds like it!!) then just get the biggest scope that you can happly afford if you need any more help ill help ya as much as i can :)

I have now had a reply from FLO about the SkyWatcher AZ GOTO mount and it will take my 130M scope. I've taken the plunge and ordered one along with the required Dovetail bar to allow the scope to be attached to the mount. I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Thanks,

Mark

kool good luck!!!! if you need any help with mesamunts etc i can take them off my scope it might help ya as its tecnically the same but i dont know what help is around with how to place the dovetail etc good luck though :icon_salut:

Still not be enable to try Synscan mount out. While others on here were raving about clear skies last night it was cloudy here. Tonight there has been some breaks and I tried aligning the scope. Blast it, as soon as the scope started slowing to the second star the clouds came again. Aargh!!!

Finally, a clear night but a little hazy. Light pollution here not helping either. However, I have at

least been able to have a go with my new mount. I've not quite got it right yet but using two star alignment it seems to be slightly off. I'm not sure why and I am able to fine tune manually with bright objects like Mars &Mizar but struggling to find fainter objects like M82. Although this might be due to the conditions.

Any ideas what I may need to do to get Synscan to be a little more accurate?

Thanks Alan. I was hoping to come on Monday to the meeting. Not sure now with the turn in the weather. I was hoping to bring my kit as well.

Hoping the bridge fees reduce as well as £6 a return crossing puts a dent in the pocket.:D

Forecast does not look too promising for Monday but we all know how quick things can change so best leave it until we know for sure I guess. Our meeting in March will certainly be worth coming to as it will mark the beginning of our second year so there may be a few reasons to pop along which should send everyone home happy regardless of the weather. :D

Archived