Mount help

Hi, I currently own two telescopes: ETX-125 and Skywatcher 114/500 (on an EQ1 mount I think). I'm at uni at the moment and only got the Skywatcher with me.

I'm trying to do some astrophotography with DSLR (Canon 550D) and can achieve focus with a t adaptor and barlow, but the EQ1 mount isn't really built for it, could anyone suggest a cheapish mount that would be better?

My problem is I don't get what people mean when they dovetail etc. I've just taken the telescope off the mount (still in the rings) not sure how I would go about attaching it to something else?

Any help appreciated :)

Dovetail is a type of quick release fitting use in telescopes. The are two common standards, Vixen and Losmandy. Vixen type is used for most small scope. It can be found an all Skywatcher mount larger than EQ3-2, all Celestron and Vixen mount smaller than CGEM/AXD and small Meade GEM. It is also fitted to most small to medium OTA sold nowadays.

76.jpg

In this example, the dovetail is the black rail connecting the two tube rings

494.jpg

This rail is then connected to the saddle on the mount. This allowed the scope to be slid forward and back for balance as well as removed quickly. EQ1 and EQ2 doesn't have this quick release, neither does a Meade ETX.

For long exposure astrophotography, you will need a HEQ5 if you want to image with a scope.

If you are willing to use camera lens, then you can use a EQ5, EQ3-2, or an Astrotrac, as long as you keep the sub short and use a fast aperture.

Thank you so much! This clears things up a lot. :) Yeah I'm currently doing some wide field stuff with 18-55mm lens and taking videos of Jupiter/Saturn then stacking them, this is on EQ1 mount. wanted to try some deep sky stuff. obviously using lots of shorter exposures will help, especially as I'm in the middle of Birmingham.

Thanks again

Forget the Barlow go for "Prime Focus", the camera attaches directly to the focuser, you will need a T-Ring of the right type for your camera and focuser...

First Light Optics - T Rings

Unless the 114 now has a focuser that allows direct DSLR connection, using a barlow with a t ring will be the only way to achieve focus.

Peter

Archived