Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ platform for my 10er Dob (and the aocalypse 2012... or something like that..)

bluemarkus

over the last couple days I been busy and here is the result. still gotta put a slow engine to it, either stepper, or a geared slowed-down model engine, or, or, or...

here are some pictures:

Crafts images | Crafts photos, crafts pictures

for any input regarding a cheap, accurate and strong engine, i am thankful.

regards, Mark from karlsruhe, Germany :)

just bought an EQ2 drive motor on ebay for 30bucks, it will power the platform. Nick Hill from England was the first to use this drive for an EQ platform. my props go out to Reiner Vogel from Freiburg, his website helped me visualize and realize the whole thing.

i attached the EQ-2 motor now. it can drive the platform, but i dunno yet if it can take the whole 30kg of dob and rockerbox. there are still some little tidbits that need fixin. i´ll check back when my toUcam is modded for long exposure and the platform works properly...

:icon_salut::evil:

dang i love those smilies, whoever invented them deserves a medal

tested platform again in icy cold night. motor is strong enough to pull whole 30kg (dob+ rockerbox), but is too fast now. gotta use yet another diameter on the shaft to drive them wheels. also angle of north segments needs adjustment.

more to come soon until i can catch this distant starlight on my tiny CCD...

hmm i thought about that too. i´m alwas looking for solutions that are simple, cheap and effective. isnt a PMW (pulse-modulation-blabla) the same that is in a lampstand that has a dimmer with it ? i have an old lamp standing here that i never use, it has a knob that you can turn and dim the light from very little to very bright...

by the way i now try out to make the platform into a VNS platform, that means only 2 wheels and more pressure on them. thought it necessary because the angles seemed to be wrong. so i decided to go VNS like this one here...

Dobsons bauen und Deep Sky, Reiner Vogel

i worked all day today on my toUcam, i added a cooling fan, soldered a 5m long USB cable and the cable for the fan. now only the controller cable is missing for long exposures. then i should be good for a couple weeks cam-wise. the platform, dang i just cant get enough friction between the shaft and the loadbearing wheels. 30kg resting on only 2 wheels, thats 15kg each. probly i will make the platform a 1 wheel (!!) only platform, and have the other northern segment rest directly on the elongated motorshaft. that wold give me maximum friction, no way of escape, but then the shaft elongation (steel rod) needs to rest on 2 ballbearings otherwise its gonna break. anyway im gonna take just that... a break.... nuff done for today cheers MB

my platform and modded toUcam are in their final stage, and i might be able to post firstlight pics anytime now. just today we had dense cloud cover.

when everything will work properly, i will explain the changes i made and post some hints for future builders.

Archived