Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope

I don't know if I'm the only one to feel this way, but I hate the finder on my Celestron SCT. Optically it's fine although being straight-through it's a bit of a pain in the neck to use. The thing I really hate is the mounting. It's only got adjustment screws on one end. The other end is held by a rubber gasket which simply doesn't really work. So I'm looking for a replacement and got my eye on the right-angled one from Altair Astro. Has anyone got any comments having used one of these?.

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Pillkin - I cannot answer you're question but would like to jump aboard to see what answers come back. I am also considering a finderscope or Red Dot Finder and would like to hear other users advice about what they find good/ bad. The ability to use a 45 or 90deg finder seems much more comfortable as a principle than kneeling on the wet grass peering up to the heavens....

I also note you have a WO Megrez 72 - the scope I'll hopefully be purchasing any day to go on a Vixen Porta mount as a grab n go. Having owned one of these - do you think I would benefit from a RDF or Finderscope? I was considering the WO RDF or Baader Sky Surfer V - both of which may be difficult to use at the zenith...or perhaps the widefield view through the WO 72 would not warrant a finder at all?

Cheers - hope you get some good replies

Yea, the finder bracket that came with my C925 is poor. The finder is ok, but the bracket on my Synta 120/8.3 achromat is much better. I didn't get on with it, that's why I replaced it with a Rigel quick finder and a 60mm achromat (NOT the Altair finder). I find I couldn't use the right angle 60mm alone, I needed the unit finder to get the initial pointing. May be the magnification on mine is too high.

I wouldn't be without my right angle finder. But finders are a very personal choice. Somewhere not too long back there was a very long and informative thread about finders, RDF, Telrad, etc. I posted there but can't find it just now. If I manage to find it, I will link from here.

David.

I also note you have a WO Megrez 72 - the scope I'll hopefully be purchasing any day to go on a Vixen Porta mount as a grab n go. Having owned one of these - do you think I would benefit from a RDF or Finderscope? I was considering the WO RDF or Baader Sky Surfer V - both of which may be difficult to use at the zenith...or perhaps the widefield view through the WO 72 would not warrant a finder at all?

I never use a finder with the Megrez 72. In fact when I'm using the WO 98 I use the Megrez as a finderscope. I would do the same with the SCT but the mount wouldn't cope with the load. A long fl eyepiece with the Megrez should give you enough of a field to find things. However you might find using a cheap finder is better to start with.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Archived