Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which lens should I use or buy?

GeordieStew

Last week I bought an astrotrac and 450D. Also a Canon 50mm and 18-55mm.

For my day to day photography I have a Nikon D7000 with various lenses (35, 16-85, 70-300, 60 + 105 micro).

I plan to buy an adapter to use my Nikon G lenses on the 450D.

Which lens should I start playing with first on the astrotrac? Or should I buy something new? I'd prefer to buy Nikon and use the adapter as then I could use it for day to day stuff.

Cheers in advance!

I would start at the shorter FL and work up.. The Astrotrac if it's properly polalr aligned will produce excellent results over the whole of the FL range you have available...

As Kev said stopping down a stop or so will generally improve star quality in the corners... Most importantly make sure you nail the focus...

Peter...

Hi folks.

Thanks for the replies. I played out last night with the 35mm (52.5mm on my crop) and 70-300mm (105-450mm). Focussing always seems to take too long. But realise how important it is. I bought a Bahtinov Mask but it doesn't really work on my lenses. Keith Morris gave some advice for me to try next time.

Polar Alignment is another issue we ran into. Do we need to align Polaris and the other two? or just one?

I took a 6 minute sub (lots of light pollution) with no horizontal trails. I had some vertical trails though. I figured this was due to poor Polar Alignment.

Sorry for my lack of proper terms. I'm a moron :) ha.

Got some decent shots, but learning about post processing now.

Archived