New to Telescopes

Hi so I'm looking to get my first telescope soon, I've been a lurker here for a bit and have been slowly reading the tons of resources that are available on here.

I've been looking at the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dob and think it would be a great starting telescope, a lot of people seem to highly recommend it.

I'm just wondering if this would be the best bang for buck at that price for viewing deep space objects and planets. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

I also hope to take some basic photographs of planets, currently I only have a lowly cybershot dsc w130 compact camera, I'm pretty sure that isnt up to the task I've seen people use webcams which use CCD sensors to take some excellent pictures, im just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for such webcams.

Many Thanks in advance! :)

The 150P Dob makes for a fantastic first 'scope and will give you some great views. However Dobsonians aren't suitable for imaging (other than quick shots of the moon and such like).

I'm a visual observer myself so can't advice on the photography front, but for visual observing the 150P is great, especially for the money.

A Dobsonian shouldn`t be your first choice if you want to try some imaging - yes you can capture a few planetary shots or lunar images, but if you are looking at a Dob then you`d probably have to resign yourself to the fact it will be for primarily visual observations. I`m assuming that the Skyliner 150P is the top of your budget? If so then it is a great scope and if you want to toy with imaging down the line then you can attach it to an EQ mount at a later date (with rings etc.)

However, if your budget stretches a bit further the Skyliner 200P is a great all rounder and well respected on this forum.

the 130p isnot very good for imaging the mount is not the right type of mount for dso imaging but u could get a few shots of the moon with a webcam, the 130p is not great for planets ether not enought focal length.

it is not bad for looking at dso i have the 130p goto and have seen a a good few dso but i new within a week i wanted a new scope

The most important item to get right for astrophotography is the mount, not the OTA.

The 130P Supatrak uses an alt-az mount (i.e. it goes up-down, left-right), and astrophotography really needs a sturdy equatorial mount (i.e. one which rotates in such a way that it turns on ONE axis as the sky turns - you set the declination and it tracks the right ascension).

You'll get some photography results with the 130 OTA (better yet with a 200), but you'd be best off putting it on at least an EQ3 mount.

In short, you'd be best off deciding if you want a cracking good observing 'scope, or, for the same budget, a mediocre imaging 'scope. The price difference is in the mount.

I bought the Explorer on the EQ3 which is basically the same telescope but on a different mount. The verdict was that the Telescope is wonderful but the EQ3 less so. To take my astronomy to the next level I bought a better mount, now I can do imaging with this telescope.

The conclusion was that I've got a EQ mount that I don't use and it might have been a good idea to buy the dob version in the first place since I'd have saved a few quid and still be where I am now.

Food for thought.

I bought the Explorer on the EQ3 which is basically the same telescope but on a different mount. The verdict was that the Telescope is wonderful but the EQ3 less so. To take my astronomy to the next level I bought a better mount, now I can do imaging with this telescope.

The conclusion was that I've got a EQ mount that I don't use and it might have been a good idea to buy the dob version in the first place since I'd have saved a few quid and still be where I am now.

Food for thought.

Indeed so - I suggested the EQ3 as a minimum only because above that, prices start springboarding. Maybe an EQ3 and don't even breathe while you're taking a picture! But much better with an EQ5.

I think thats definitely the way to go if your new to this as I am. I bought the 200p a few weeks ago knowing that I would not be able to take pictures of the DSOs its capable of seeing but I wanted the visual experience first- I didn't want to be underwhelmed by restricting myself (because of my budget) to a lower spec scope for AP or a goto for that matter - so I bought the Dob hoping to give myself the best shot of really getting into this great hobby.

Later (as I do like photography and have several cameras) possibly I'll upgrade - maybe a better mount with the 200P or a new setup altogether but thats down the line - I just think its better to get the experience right first when your on a limited budget than cutting corners on the visuals (within your own budget of course) or spending big and then findig its not for you.

Just my two bobs worth on how I came to my conclusions- good luck with whatever yours may be

Steve

Archived