New, and a few questions about capturing

Hi There

New to the forum so hello. I'm Johnny, i have just purchased a Skywatcher 130/900 Telescope and i am looking to get a webcam for it.

I have read that the Phillips 880 ones are the best however i cant find these anywhere at the moment and do not fancy paying 80 -100 quid on Ebay for one.

I found these two at PC WORLD, would either of these be any good?

HP HD-2200 Webcam at cheap prices | PC World

SANDSTROM SW72011 HD Webcam at cheap prices | PC World

also, how would i connect these to a telescope?

i have heard people connect it straight into the scope without any eyepieces or barlows, but could i not put the webcam on an eyepiece and barlow then into the scope?

sorry for all the questions, just eager to get going.

best

Johnny

Sorry about this reply but:

i have heard people connect it straight into the scope without any eyepieces or barlows, but could i not put the webcam on an eyepiece and barlow then into the scope?

You could stick all that in front but I have no idea what the image projected on to the sensor would be like. I would guess with a high degree of certainty that you would not get an image just a slightly illuminated sensor.

When playing with optics and photography can I suggest that understanding a little about the process of forming an image from the optical side is learnt?

A webcam is not the eyeball, the eyeball has a lens in front of it that creates the image "seen" by the retina, The webcam is simply the equivalent of the retina - no imaging system in front.

An eyepiece in a scope delivers collimated light to the eye, this is not an image until the eye lens performs the imaging. This eye lens is absent in a webcam.

Point being setting up a webcam as if it were an eye means no image.

Best and most used method is to place the webcam sensor at the prime focus, no barlow, no eyepiece.

Archived