Help on 1145p

Guys I appreciate the help all of you are giving me.

I find that the 6" and above are a little too expensive considering the budget I have kept for a starter scope. So I may finally go with 1145P skywatcher skyhawk.

I would like your reviews and any word on recommendation?

Diameter 114 mm

Focal length 500 mm

Secondary Mirror Diameter -----

Focal ratio F/ 4.4

Highest Practical Power 228x

Faintest Stellar Magnitude 12.9

Resolving power 1

Finder scope 6x24

Focuser Diameter 1.25"

Eyepiece Super 10 mm and Super 25 mm

Magnification with eyepiece 50x and 20x

Mount Type EQUATORIAL EQ1

Slow-motion Control RA & DEC

In simple terms it is as it says a little starter scope.

Not sure if they are the colour shown on the FLO site as I was helping someone set one up on a goto mount recently and it was a darker tube.

It is f/4.4 so fast, you will need to get a coolimator of some sort to keep it set up. The faster scopes are more critical to collimation errors, and need to be maintained better in that respect.

Being f/4.4 eyepieces could be a problem. Ignore the idea of 228x, you would need a 2.2mm eyepiece and a decent one of those will cost more then the scope. Not sure how well a barlow would operate on one, possibly a better option for magnifications above 100x.

You get a 10mm and 25mm and a barlow. They may be poor, sorry.

To say buy a collimator, a Tal barlow and a decent eyepiece or two will mean spending for the bundle more then the scope. (Guess) Collimator = £25, Tal = £35, 2x BST's = £82: Total £142. Although you may need to do exactly that to get good results. All bits could be used on a later larger scope however.

It is a case of see how you get on with the scope and decide if you want to add to it afterwards. However you will need a collimator of some sort.

hi. i think you can now get a celestron reflector for same price but bigger apeture.

the 130 mm, as opposed to the 114mm the skyhawk offers.

i say this as ive been told more apeture is better for collecting light.

as for which has better bits and bobs (e/p's, finder, mount) im not sure.

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

thinking a bout it. if your budget is below £140. many of the experienced guys on here recomend the skywatcher heritage 130.

flo sell them for £135. they are supposed to be fantastic little scopes.as much apeture as the celstron i mentioned but its far more compact and easy to store.

hope that helps..

I have the Skyhawk but with a built in catadioptric lens which doubled the Focal length. I am very happy with this scope. As mentiond the supplied eyepieces are not great, ok for starters, I have added a set of GSO eyepieces and these make a massive difference to the viewing at a very reasonable price.

Clear Skies

David

Archived