Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Gear ratio

steelfixer

I answer to this and your query in my focus / filterwheel threed. I am not sure! If you look at the eqmod site I am sure it gives all the gear ratios for all the eq mounts.

I did my own moddification on my meade 10" fork mount to make it GOTO. this was possible by using the eq6 upgrade kit. Luck on my side since the gear ratios for meade forks are the same as eq6.

I am sure someone will be along to give you the answer but have a look at that eqmod site, its interesting anyway.

Boyd

Graham,

Final ratio is 705:1

Have a look at EQMOD Pre-requisites It details all the mounts that work with EQMOD, and what ratios each step is

Hopefully Chris will chip in here and provide the motor to axis gear ratio, because there is a dual tooth intermediate gear between the motor and the axis gear, but I would guess that the ratio would equate to the same as the stock HEQ5. But that's irrelevant if you opt to convert the EQ5 to belt drives as you would use a stock 4:1 or 5:1 ratio unless you want to use the handset. Personally I would suggest a 4:1 ratio, unless you have clearance issues on the axis shafts...

Thanks for that Malcome.

I need to know for when I build my super EQ mount.

I am hoping to utalise the box of tricks from my synscan pro upgrade I fitted to my EQ5 to drive a pair of Nema 23 stepper motors.

By using these motors I reckon I can do away with the gears and the worm and make it direct drive system with a belt.

That way I can still use the EQMOD for the goto.

Well thats the theory anyway.

Graham

I'm quite interested in this thread, doubtful that I'll build a super EQ mount but it would be nice to see how it's done for something smaller I had in mind. Also very interested in EQMod/skywatcher protocol, knowing that makes it very possible to make/adapt control systems/boards to suit.

Hi Reggie.

My plan for the next year is to build my own scope including the mirror.

Since it is going to be at least a 12 inch newt I am going to have to build a super EQ mount to sit it on.

I just need to get these final points sorted before fabrication can get under way.

Archived