Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

N,S,E,W,

I have never logged any observations in the past, never really had any real attempt at observing but since taking delivery of my scope i would like to.

My question is when logging my observations i will be noting how i starhop form one subject to the next, so when noting this do i explain the direction relative to Polaris or my view from the ground?

When Auriga will rise it wont be in the same position 3 hours later so how do you log it, e.g. from early rise M37 will seem south to me but to Polaris it will be iin the west position, i think!

Consequently 3 hours later it will be in a different postion!

Hope this is not a daft question.

Polaris is the constant. It's always North and all other star positions can be given relative to this.

Your position on the ground will not alter the positions of the cardinal points. They're absolutes.

Hope I've understood your question correctly. I've no intention to patronise.

Tim

Hi Ian123, I always do it from my relative position on earth, and log the time as well, though admittedly Auriga is almost at the zenith late at night, so that proves a little difficult. However, most of my viewing objects rise in the south from my back garden and then move west, so I find this best for me.

Archived