NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horsehead - reprocessed

malc-c

I was bored - re-stacked the three test subs (all 400 sec) whilst I was sorting out guiding and managed to pull out some detail.

OK the image won't win POW - It is full of noise and was taken when the moon was washing out most of the sky, but it could be a lot worse :)

post-23388-13387772031_thumb.png

Dont do yourself down ..... I can tell you 10 - 15 years ago NASSA had trouble taking pics this good :) We look at some of the perfect pics on this site sometimes and forget we are not pro's :):)

Its A great pic and you should be proud :):hello2:

Cheers MM

Thanks guys.

I must admit that I'm quite chuffed considering that I wasn't really trying to get an image as I was trying to sort out some guiding data and that was as good a target as any. I'm hoping (once I've sorted the mount out) to go back and get some more subs before Orion slips too far west which is the worse LP area of the skies from my area

A very nice image. One thing I read in Steve Chambers book, Make Every Photon Count, is that framing is obviously important. He said that, in his experience, just about every DSO can be framed with the camera at 90 degrees or zero degrees.. This is fairly easy to think of with a refractor, but more difficult with a reflector. If the reflector is pointing at Polaris and the focus tube parallel to the RA axis, then the camera should be zero or 90 degrees to the sight line of the OTA. Your sky chart may help - Cartes de Ciel allows you to select a camera angle and thus see what the frame will be on your object. But as I say, 0 or 90 should do it. Best to play around.

Archived