Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starter kit

Hello All

I have had a good look through the forum and its full of great information for all levels of astronomy.

My questions:

Is it better to start with binoculars + tripod and would the Celestron SkyMaster Binoculars 15x70 a good choice, or is there a better choice for the price.

Or is it better to buy starter telescope kit if so what's recommended.

I apologise if this been asked before :)

I would start with binoculars without a tripod.

Some people can hand-hold 15x70s without too many vibrations but I think most would regard 10x50s as more suitable for this.

A tripod obviously helps with steadiness but it can also be very restrictive when you're starting out and trying to find things in small patches of sky, and it's also very difficult to see the zenith (straight up) with mounted binoculars.

For the price of a decent pair of 10x50s you won't get a telescope that will give you anything like the same enjoyment, in my opinion.

Tim

Thanks Guys

I have downloaded that Stellarium last night and plan to have a look tonight. I have had a look at the 10 x 50 binoculars and the price is really good so could be the first option for me.

Are there any brands I should look for or are they all the same ?

I found this link HERE so bit confused lol

I have the Opticrons from FLO which are great but not cheap. I also have the Meade ones which are about £35 from Telescope House and they're excellent for the price.

The other option for under £50 is the Strathspeys, which I bought someone else as a Christmas present and are excellent - they work

out about £45 with P&P and VAT.

I believe Revelation do some good ones at around the £50 mark but I've never tried them.

Tim

Archived