Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier?

wozza

Now i have managed to keep my scope i want to build something in the garden to use it in but looking at all the obs building threads everyone has a pier to mount their scope .

Now i have a skywatcher with an AZ goto mount and wondered if they can or even need to be on a pier ?

if you dont want to use the tripod, i went to a local steel fabricators explained what i was doing, he gave the tubibg and cut it to length for £20, then cut me 2 plates to fix one and have a wobble plate with the other, he also drilled the holes for me at an extra £20. i took the top off the tripod and got it milled and mounted on the wobble plate £40,, result best thing ive done,, if you dont ask you dont get ,, good luck

The advantage of a properly made and fixed pier is rigidity and stability. All tripods can wobble (even a tiny bit) and, especially for imaging, it is necessary to eliminate any vibrations etc that can easily ruin an image. Try the DIY section for descriptions - there are many and varied designs. Making you own should come in at under £100, where most commercial ones seem to be £400 upwards - for a good stable one that is.

Archived