Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using an Astrotrac ....

Specman

When using an Astrotrac and SLR setup do you still need to use your dew heaters on the camera lens or some kind of shroud on the lens?

Also, apart from ScopeTechnix / Pulsar, does anybody make a hot-shoe mounting bracket with a dovetail to take a red dot finder that will fit my Canon 1000D?

Anybody using the Astrotrac, what essentials do you have in your kit bag?

Thanks

Clear skies!

I use a Astrozap dew strip on my lens powered by a AA battery pack I cobbled together from Maplins and also a small shroud for the camera body to protect it from dew. No red dot finder and I always use lens hoods.

That's about it other than a compass to help line up polaris.

Hope this helps...

The two previous posters seem to have got it covered...

The 1000D will give you between 1-2 hours of exposure of a fully charged original canon battery depending on the temperature...

If you want to run for longer without changing the battery then it might be worth havign a look at the battery adaptors from Andy Ellis at Astronomiser - I would go for the pro type as this keeps the heat form the regulator outside the camera - and heat is the enemy when it comes to noise...

If your handy with a dremel you can modify a cheap finder and shoe to fit the camera hot shoe...

Peter...

Archived