Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on imaging setup, please

digitaltre515

I'm getting back into the swing of things after not having a telescope for almost 15 years, and am enjoying using my Celestron C8-SGT XLT. I've always wanted to try some astrophotography, and now that I have the means (albeit somewhat limited), I would like to give it a go.

I already have a Canon EOS 1000D, unmodded. I plan on modding it with a Baader replacement IR cut filter soon. Right now this is the equipment I'm considering to complete this setup:

Celestron f/6.3 Focal Reducer / Corrector Lens

Celestron UHC/LPR Telescope Filter - 1.25 Inch

Orion StarShoot AutoGuider

Orion Deluxe Off-Axis Guider for Astrophotography

These items are right around where my current budget sits for needed equipment. I'm primarily curious about if this setup will achieve focus, and if it may be better to stick with a guidescope instead of the OAG, although I like the idea of the accuracy of using an OAG instead.

Any advice and/or criticizm is welcome! I learn fast, but also like to progress quickly. Thanks, in advance!

An OAG is a very good idea with an SCT because the mirror tends to move small amounts especially crossing the meridian. It also saves weight which is important because your mount will be at it's limit. There shouldn't be a problem achieving focus, SCTs are excellent in this respect. You will need to make sure the guide chip is close to par focal with your main camera. This is best done in day light.

Even with the reducer your focal length is still quite long and you will have a challenge on your hands if you are just starting out. Longer focal lengths are more challenging and, as I said, your mount will be at it's limit.

Focusing is a bit of a pig with SCTs although I once had a Celestron NS8 and this was much better than my Meade LX200. The image shifts as you focus but worse than this, the focusing slops about when you start to turn the focuser in the opposite direction. It is a really good idea to fit a crayford focuser. You do coarse focusing as usual but then use the crayford for fine adjustment.

SCTs are brilliant for planetary imaging, have you thought about this prior to jumping into DSOs. I also had many happy hours observing through my 8" Celestron.

I know I want to DSOs, eventually, but as I haven't done any imaging before I was definitely going to cut my teeth on some planetary imaging. I was just looking at this focuser to add to the setup in the near future. As I'm going to spend quite a bit for the rest, I'll shoot for the focuser in a month or so (I know it's not much, but I'll have spent about $2,500 this month for the rest of it all). I'm still planing on using my DSLR for planetary imaging by using BackyardEOS. I believe that should work, right?

Your scope is nice for planetary imaging but you would probably get get better results using a high frame rate camera rather than a DSLR. Something like the Orion solarsystem imager, if this is still available. The chip size is a better match to the target and you won't burn out the shutter.

Your scope is nice for planetary imaging but you would probably get get better results using a high frame rate camera rather than a DSLR. Something like the Orion solarsystem imager, if this is still available. The chip size is a better match to the target and you won't burn out the shutter.

BackyardEOS uses the camera's LiveView function (using mirror lock to display the image on the LCD screen instead of the eyepiece) which streams via USB or video cable. The software captures the stream and makes it into a a video, so the shutter isn't constantly going. I'm hoping this will work almost as well.

That's what I figured; since I'm not spending any money for a camera I could at least see how it works. If nothing else, planetary webcams don't cost a whole lot. I've also got a Canon EOS 500D, which has live view but also records HD video. Maybe if the 1000D has some issues here, I can try to 500D. If all else fails, I'll look to a webcam.

Sounds good for deep sky since you already have the scope and the camera. Martin's suggestion of a tail-end Crayford will make life easier. It is quite a lot for the mount though.

Fit a good dew shield or plan for heated dew prevention if that is problem in your area.

The mount being at its limit is one reason I was looking at an OAG instead of a guidescope. Hopefully it holds up. I would like to get a CGEM eventually, or even a CGEM DX. But not for a while, as I need to save for a bit. The Crayford is next on my list, though.

I've had my scope out through the night and not seen any dew buildup as of now. The air has been pretty dry around here lately, but I'll almost definitely need to get one before too long as the spring and summers heat up and get quite humid. That, and the ocean is only a few miles away.

• 1 month later...

First post here.

Hope you dont mind me piggy backing this thread as I see you mention a reducer. I have a similar setup but a smaller scope (c6 xlt) and canon 1100d. I'm starting out and enjoying looking at the moon/jup/venus/pleiades and now mars.

I'm just starting to get good images of Orion neb. and the moon but so far Andromeda is just a blurry dot (i guess this is the centre of the galaxy) :D

Would a focal reducer make big dsos easier to image? and if so does anyone with a similar setup know if I would still be able to focus the canon with a reducer? Googling gives mixed opinions.

Also If i want to images planets will I need another cam? I have tried imaging jupiter - the moons show up great but the planet is just blurred with a halo around it, the halo size varies with exposure time. I dont see any dew on the lens and I can see jupiter's bands clearly with my eyeball and I have tried quite short exposures down to where the moons dont really show up - is it me or am I using the wrong kit?

Thanks for your patience

Cimh

Archived