NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi folks

My name's Dave. First of all I'd just like to say hello to all the members out there. I've always been interested in Astronomy and have just recently bought myself a Skywatcher 5" reflector with an EQ2 mount and EQ drive. I've seen the stars and the planets just by using the spotter scope to align on.

I've managed to polar align my scope but once the angle is set and I want to view something at a lower angle in the sky, how do I do this without upsetting the original polar alignment? I'd be very grateful if somebody out there could give me some advice. :)

Hi Dave...Welcome to SGL

If I am understanding you right dont worry.....Once you have polar aligned you can then move the scope in any orientation you want. You only need to Polar align once, at the beginning of your session. And dont forget for visual use you dont have to be that accurate with your polar aligning , I used to just roughly point my mount North.

Take your time and you'll soon be browsing the forum with ease.

When I return to the forum from being away for a few hours, I go from the top opening all the sub forums which have new posts. I pick out the threads I want to read then go onto the next, posting replies as I go. Then once I've read all that I want to, I load up the index page scroll to the bottom so that the "STARGAZERS' LOUNGE - ASTRONOMY FORUM - Info Center" is in view, then every few minutes I refresh the page to see any new posts added while I'm either busy with something else or browsing other threads. I find this gives great coverage both while away and while logged in.

Hope you dont mind Dave, but I have posted your PM to me here.....somebody a lot more clued up than me will be along to help you out

Hi Chubster

Thanks for your speedy reply. Hope you don't mind me sending you a personal message.

If its possible to move the scope to any alignment, what's the point of it?

Once I've polar aligned and turned on my motor drive Polaris stays centred. If I then re-align the scope onto another star or planet and then turn on the motor drive the object wanders out of view!! I must be doing something wrong!

Polar aligning just orientates the MOUNT. Once that it is done you can loosen either the "DEC" or "RA" or both and move your scope to look at what you want. As long as the MOUNT and TRIPOD stay aligned then it does not matter where the scope is pointing.

If when looking at another star it drifts out of view then your alignment may not be spot on. Was the mount level before starting your polar aligning?

Like I said if you are only visually viewing then it doesnt really have to be that spot on.

Hello and welcome to the SGL. Don't forget to post a HELLO in the welcome section, let everyone else know your here.

If you've set up as Chubster has described and your object moves out of view over time , that's quite normal and a result of the whole alignment process not being spot-on ( very difficult and really only needed if you're imaging).

Karlo

Dave

There are two locking nuts - one on each axis. Loosen these - carefully!! - and then you can rotate the scope to a new part of the sky.

Once you have polar aligned the mount, you don't touch this again. If you have to pack away and set up each time, then you will need to redo the polar alignment.

Welcome to SGL by the way :)

All this loverleeee kit sat in their boxes waiting to be used :)

I'm going to have to get the baader film out and get filter making and take in some sun, it's the only way!

Kids,work and low cloud all conspiring against getting the 'scope out, it's just as well the missus still loves me and understands the PAIN

Archived