Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just recently joined and needing to get mounted!

scsibear

hi guys i just joined yesterday and had many nice hello's i wanted to ask a few questions given time and wanted to post my queires in the correct thread, so i hope this is the right one.

I bought a scope about 10 years ago an old Orion Optics Europa 250 , as times have moved on i wanted to ask can my tube be set up to use a modern go-to set up i am thinking along the lines of the HEQ5. When i bought this set up back in the day it was about £700 give or take £50 with old style no motor action mount, can i just get this new mount and stick the tube on it ? would i have to get a sturdier/stronger tripod too ? or if i set the thing in concrete with a thick tube like i have seen others do from what i have seen on the forum already (Malc - looks great) is that also do-able?

I'd also like to respond to JMB1165 on his nice response to my hello intro and tell him my thoughts if i may !

@jmb1165 I hadn't initially thought of enhancing the mirrors as yet (do i need to ) ? as regarding the imaging you recommended yes i shall purchse the book, however just wanted to say that i have a book (good yes/no)? i bought a while back called "Astrophotography for the Amateur, by Michael A.Covington this perhaps is probably a lil out of date by now of course and yet it is an intensive read nonetheless. I also agree that a more modern EQ mount is a neccessity as regards the astophotography for the tracking hence why i was asking if i could use my older tube with the more modern HEQ5 setup

many thanks

scsi

What is the focal length I know Orion now do a 1200mm and 1600mm of the 10" and if you can handle the mount weight I would go for the NEQ6 or Celestron CGEM.

Focal length is 1200mm the tube weight itself is 8kg/18lbs.

Archived