Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar observing: Put 80GTL on CG5 or Baader film for the C8N

Hi,

I've got an old Celestron 80GTL which came with a white light solar filter. Great for seeing sunspots, but the tripod is atrocious!

I'd like know whether it's worth mounting it (somehow?) on my CG5-GT, or if I'd be better off buying Baader film for my C8N.

Thanks,

Mark

I'd mount the refractor on the CG5, if you get Baader film for the Newt you'll still proably stop it down to less than 80mm because the vanes will get in the way AND the refractor will still have a wobbly tripod. Putting the refractor on the CG5 solves both 'problems'

You''ll need the rings and a dovetail (the bottom two items on the page)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=46&pg=3

Cheers Gaz.

Don't understand why "the vanes will get in the way"? Is it worse with the Sun compared to regular viewing?

I'd hoped that using an 8" aperture would allow me to get more light in and so be able to get greater usable magnification.

:?

I'd go with making an aperture mask out of solar film for the Newt..

Although..

All my solar observing is done with my ED80..Just right for the job..

Make an aperture mask for them both and post the results..I'd be interested.. :)

Archived