NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last nights bounty M51

Chris

Hey Quatermass, I don't know why they use this really thick grease when they know people are using scopes out in the cold, it doesn't really make much sense? congrats on the decision it will be really interesting to see how you get on, I suspect that after a few niggles you will be just as happy with it as Stan. It would be an even cheaper option for me now that I've got the Dec motor working! Don't you have to order the the ST4 mod from a guy in America though? this is the only thing that puts me off doing the mod as I don't shop online, don't even own a credit card and therefore wouldn't have insurance if anything went wrong with an online purchase. I really should get a credit card, I've not really needed one untill now as I don't like the idea of spending money I don't have :) I've dewed up the inside of my camera before as well its game over for a couple of hours untill it clears :) My only thought with your mod is the weight of your OTA plus a guide scope, might be a bit much for the eq5 unless you use the 50mm finder as a guide scope, I can't remember if we have talked about this before? :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Stan, I recken you should be working for Skywatcher, Direct drive for declination! :) I've not asked you what you do for a living? I recken you must be a mechanical Engineer/Machinist of some sort.

Neither actually, just willing to give anything a go, although it usually ends in tears :) I actually work in a parts department for Mercedes Benz, nothing to glamorous, although maybe I should have been a mechanic, I have always been mechanically minded. In a past life/hobby I created a fast road/track day car (Honda prelude). I turbo charged it to over 300HP. All the brackets/downpipes/intercooler pipes/oil feeds I fabricated from scratch. Only the tuning of the ECU I left to the pro's.

Stan :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived