Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

(Hopefully) Imaging the Northern Lights

Space Oddity6

Hey all,

In February I will be lucky enough to check one off of my bucket list when I travel to Iceland for 3 days to see the Aurora Borealis!! Can't wait.

Anyway, obviously I'll be wanting to take some pics and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. Do I for example, use the same settings on my camera that I would use to take star trail images. and is it worth investing in a remote to control the shutter?

Along with imaging advice feel free to share memories etc any of you who has seen the Lights before, I want to be 100% prepared for the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly a tripod and a remote shutter cord would be advisable/essential. You may need to use the bulb mode and expose for longer than 30secs so the remote cord will help there.

I would say settings wise similar to star trails. 10-60secs f/2.8 or lower ISO 400-1000 depending on how good your camera is at lower light. Ideally a nice wide fast lens.

Remember you need to make sure you are ready come what may so I would suggest spare memory cards and spare batteries for sure. The cold might be an issue too so I would keep the spares close to you to keep them warm.

Get set up and take loads of photos experimenting with the time and ISO settings.

Hope you have a wonderful time. It is certainly something that I would love to see.

Cheers for the reply.

One problem though, I've left it too get a remote, I leave on Friday. I wonder if I'll be able to get them at the airport?

On top of that, the weather there looks terrible, rain everyday. At least I'll be able to see the scenery!

Archived