Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead and Flame

split_city

This is my first attempt at this and it's a work in progress. I have always wanted to image the HH and this was probably the structure that got me interested in astrophotography. There's just so many wonderful things within this FOV.

Taken over a couple of nights

Equipment info:

Scope: 8" Newt

Mount: EQ6

Camera: unmodded Canon 400D

ISO800

Exposure: 10x8mins

Guidescope: 60mm f/11 tasco refractor

Guidecamera: unmodded toucam

Filter: Hutech LPS

Ambient temperature: 18 degrees first night, 27 degrees second night :D

A little windy at times

Stacked in DSS (lights, darks and flats) and processed using PS.

Fairly happy given the camera is unmodded and it was quite warm and windy at times. Looking forward to collecting some more photons but I think a major limiting factor is the noise due to temperature. I couldn't even see the HH amongst the noise on the second night. It is summer down here.

post-28839-133877718733_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know what to expect with an unmodded camera and how bad the noise would be as these were the warmest nights I have imaged. I have heard a number of hit and miss stories when it comes to imaging the HH using an unmodded and uncooled dslr. I'm proud to say the canon 400d can perform quite well under tough conditions.

Added another 14x8mins subs from last night (total 21x8min subs). It's coming along nicely. I went a little too far in some layer masks and I will need to fix these with the next repro after I collect some more data. I'm still a newbie when it comes to processing and I have only just moved on from simply using curves and levels.

Picture here

Archived