Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asteroid occultation this Saturday!

Starfleet

I haven't seen one yet, but this coming Saturday, at 22:57 UT, asteroid 329 Svea is predicted to occult the 7th magnitude star HIP 26188. This will be a favourable occultation for us Europeans ...and I'm quite excited!!

The star (placed conveniently just above Orion's belt!) will drop by 6.6 magnitudes and fade to mag 13.7 over a period of 9 seconds, so it should make a nice little wink in my 8-inch scope.

Has anyone here seen one before and have any tips for me? :)

By Jove you are of course brilliantly right, LukeB.

It seems all the rain in Spain does fall on the plains after all! Thanks a lot for that link...I shall look down the list for another. If only the error ellipse had been a little bit wider? :)

Another site worth looking at this this one, Asteroid occultation tracks UK 2011, which is more UK-centric. You do have to be fairly lucky to be on the path of the occultation. With most faint asteroids being only a few kilometres across, the path of the occulation is also only a few kilometres wide.

Yeah, it's a go for our Spanish/Portugese friends. What a bummer! We had here in Sweden a occultation last night, but of course it was clouded over. There is good software/freeware to be downloaded for this... Occult 4. Dont know the address right now but I am sure if you Google it...

Archived