Celestron astromaster 90eq eyepieces

Hi. I'm looking at acquiring an eyepiece that will give me a little more magnification than the standard 20mm and 10mm eyepieces that ship with this telescope.

One that I came across was the celestron x-cel lx 5mm. Does anyone happen to have this eyepiece with this telescope? Is it that much of an improvement in viewing planetary details over the 10mm eyepiece that ships with it?

Thanks!

Hi there, the X Cel lx are very good EP's, i have the 5mm on my SW explorer 150P. On your scope it will give you 200x magnification which is very close to the limit, from what i have read over the past few weeks on the forum you'd need very good seeing conditions to use the 5mm on your scope... I'd look at getting something about 7mm or 6mm at a push.

I may be wrong, if i am someone please correct me, i'm just going on what i have read on here...

regards Ady

im guessing so too. ive the same telescope. and i was told as a general rule of thumb ,double the objective lens in mm to get a practical maximum. so x180 would be a genral limit for a 90mm astromaster .

i dont think much use would be had with a 5mm e/p. a 6 .7 or even 8mm would be a better bet,combined with the fact it would be of better quality(vixen,bst,tmb)

just my opinion..probably wrong.

Archived