NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

achromat 'v' variable estimates

Hi everyone,

I use an 6" Helios for taking variable star estimates visually, but I'm looking to do 'v' filtered estimates in the near future.

Has anyone got any experiance using a ccd with an achromat for variable star work?

I concerntrate on Mira's, Semi Regulars mainly, so accuracy to 0.01 would be sufficiant.

Thanks,

Astrogardener.

Thanks Merlin,

I'm not sure on the ccd yet, having never used one before, I'll probably be sourcing some advice on that too!

I've noticed that a few observers are producing good results with the green channel with their DSLR's. That might be a lesser steep learning curve?

Thank's Merlin, I'm not sure what ccd yet, I've never used one so I'll probably be sourcing some imfomation on ccd's too.

I've noticed that a few observers are using the green channel on their DSLR's to produce accurate data, especially on long period variables. This might be a shallower learning curve?

Cheers

The bayer filters in a DSLR are not as tight in bandwidth as a astro green filter or the prefered photometric "V" filter.

The best option would be a mono CCD (cooled prefered) and a Cousins V photometric filter.

There's lots of good info on the AAVSO website.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Merlin, (sorry for my slowness in responding)

I think I'm going down the ccd route afterall, and I've decided to buy a small apo so I can continue to use the 6" achro for my visual variable star work. I normally get about 30 or 40 Mira and Semi Regular star estimates in a session, so the ccd will be used on my YSO programme where variabilty is irregular. Then as I get more experienced I can gradually move to the ccd for my entire programme.

I have 248 stars that I observe through the year, and that list will most certainly grow as the ccd will go deeper than the ol' mark one eye-ball!

Thanks again.

Archived