sky watcher 130mm advice please

Hello,

Just bought my first telescope, a sky watcher 130 with eq2 mount, it came with a 2 x barlow, super 25 wide angle and super 10mm eye pieces, do i need to upgrade the eye pieces, if so, which ones do i look for ?

thanks

Welcome to the forum !

A quick search through SGL will reveal that the BST Explorer eyepieces are the current "upgrade of choice" for most scopes. They cost around £41 each.

They can be bought from the "Skys the Limit" company either from their website or through E.Bay.

Try out what you have first.

Give the 25mm a go, then the 10mm, then add the barlow to the 25mm. The above "should" be fair, not great.

From previous posts I would expect the 10mm and barlow to give a pretty poor image. If it doesn't then you are one of the fortunate.

At this time of year have a look at Jupiter, then the Orion nebula and the Pleaides.

Guess you will need the 25 for the Pleaides, and the 10mm for Orion and Jupiter.

If the Jupiter and Orion are small but clear then consider a smaller eyepiece. Unless the 10mm and Barlow are good.

Not sure which 130mm scope you have, SW produce 2 options. Need to have an idea of which to suggest anything although a 6, 7 or 8mm will magnify more then the 10mm.

Problem is that a 6mm eyepiece may work OK when a 5mm will not. The only way to find out is to buy, hence you end up with lots of eyepieces at the smaller end.

Eyepiece options ae the BST Explorers although they only have 5mm and 8mm at the lower end.

Then TMB Planetary's, these come in lots of options at the smaller lengths. something like 3.5mm to 8mm in 1mm increments.

Then Celestron X-Cel's.

Plossls are another but these have short eye relief at the shorter focal lengths.

Another eyepiece is the Epics (?) on Telescope Service,

I agree with ronin about giving what you have a good try first. A poor view from you 10mm on one night could just be bad seeing and you may get a great view on another night. Its also worth spending a while looking at one object, at first you migh not see that much detail but the longer you look at someting the more your eye adjusts and the more detail you start to see.

I started off with a SW130 and rushed out a brought an eye peice kit, only too find out that 2 of the eye peices pushed the scope past its limit!! Occasioanlly i got reasonable views through one of those peices (5mm) but the other peice (2mm) never!

hope this helps.

stu

I tried out my new GSO EP's for the first time last night and they are far superior to the SW ones supplied with ny scope. I got the EP's, as stated in my signature, from scopes n skies hey came with filters and a metal carry case and all for around £85. A very reasonable and excellent upgrade definitely worth a look.

Clear skies David.

Archived