Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 in close with adaptive optics

MartinB

I was only kidding but it would be the "right way up" if going up in the picture would take you towards the northern celestial pole (before the south!), is that right?

Since you are embarking on this promising new technology, I think you need a yardstick for the quality of the images. There was that v. informative lecture that someone had put up a few weeks ago where a lot was said about the FullWidthAtHalfMaximum of star images. Are you going to be estimating that or use some other measure?

I am struck by another feature of your image: there seem to be yellow stars and blue stars and very little in between. Is it just my eyeballs or is it supposed to look like that?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only kidding

Hey, no worries, I've got the skin of a rhino and a face to match.

FWHM - I use that a lot for setting up the focus and also as a tool for assessing quality of the seeing. It's very useful.

The "right" colour is a pretty subjective thing but yes there are supposed to be different colours in there. It's one of the aspects of processing that I really enjoy.

Archived